So Excited!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dan_t

Hi guys

I've been trying not to post this until I actually got the flasks, but I've caved under the excitement. I'm getting these flasks for Sam at Orchid Inn in the next few weeks, and I just can't wait :D:D

Well I've been saving for a while, and here's the list:

farrianum x sib ('Dot Matrix' x 'Fair Lady')
glanduliferum v. gardneri x sib ('Dark Storm' x 'Red Star')
lowii x sib ('Super Lowy' x 'Mem. Agnes Helbling')
lowii var. album 'Albino Beauty' x self
micranthum x sib ('Red Lantern' x 'Jumbo')
roth x sib (MM x Perfection (I think this gives 75% MM, 12.5% Borneo, 12.5% Charles E))
Kevin Porter (Bellatulum 'Double Crown' x micranthum 'Jumbo')
Kolosand 'Green Wonder' x lowii var. albino 'Albino Beauty'

I haven't put in all the awards the parents have :rollhappy:

Opinions anyone? :poke:

Dan

Bravo! How much you want for a nice seedling of the lowii f. album????? :D

This reminds me how I need to win the lottery.

Cool!!!! Very nice aquisitions!!! I kill seedlings very fast so I am so jealous...:(

That's a nice group of seedlings to work with.

Keep'em warm and humid.

I've been raising a compot of roth babies too, and they like much lower light than the adult plants.

In general I start all my flasklings out in my indoor pleurothalid box. Temps only range from 60's to low 80's and the humidity stays above 70%.

Light levels at the plants is generally less than 1500fc.

These conditions have provided a good start for everything from relatively cool barbatas (like wardii) to warm loving multis (like philipinnense).

I have kolo and supardii babies growing light crazy right now.

I'm sure Sam is thanking you for his economic stimulis package!:poke:
:smitten: Super choices :drool: - Good Luck!

You know that the UK and the US have a 'special relationship' :rollhappy:

I will definitely be selling/swapping some of most of the flasks in the coming years. However, UK-based Kevin Porters (and lowii album) don't like visiting the US, unfortunately :wink:

Rick - thanks for the advice. I have a terrarium set up for seedlings which has a humidity of between 70-80% and varies between 60-70F. Light is 300 fc at the base where I start the seedlings, and 500 further up where I move them to later on. How does this sound?

Dan

Wow, that' quite a haul! All those babie should keep you busy.

Please post back once you've received them. I'm curious to see how flasks travel over such long distances :)

The flasks should be ok Elena, as not only have they got heat packs in, but I've got a fair few flasks from Troy Meyers before, and had very good results growing from them.

Did you know that Sam is coming over to the EU in May, so if you wanted any plants from him, then is the best time to get them? :poke:

Dan

The flasks should be ok Elena, as not only have they got heat packs in, but I've got a fair few flasks from Troy Meyers before, and had very good results growing from them.

Did you know that Sam is coming over to the EU in May, so if you wanted any plants from him, then is the best time to get them? :poke:

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I always had visions of receiving a jar with a mush of medium and battered seedlings :eek: so it's good to know that they actually travel okay.

What about paperwork? I'm guessing that things like phyto are not an issue since the flasks are sterile but what about other stuff? Do you till need a CITES import permit or any other documents?

I have heard about the May visit but unless my space situation suddenly improves I don't think I will be ordering anything :( If you are on his mailing list, then Sam normally emails well in advance with lists of plants & flasks available for orders.

Great list!! Put me down for one of those lowii albums, will you?!:rollhappy:

Shannan (who is thanking her lucky stars that she's in the UK!)

All you need for flasks is a phytosanitary certificate for the UK, which is great. That's why I buy most things from abroad in flask form - makes life a lot easier! Apart from that, you need to inform customs in advance so the flask doesn't get held up (learnt that one the hard way...:mad:)

As far as costing a bomb, it certainly cost more than it would have a year ago - damn our suddenly-weak currency! :p

Dan

Latest posts

Back