New Seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hchan

I'm excited and also a bit nervous, the paph seedlings I've ordered are on their way. These will be my first paphs so let's see how I go. I'm ordering at a funny time of year, so there isn't the widest choice, but here is what I'm getting:

Paph. philippinense (phil x sib) ('phil#2' x 'phil#3), 50-80mm leaf span (Qty 3)
Un-named grex (Hsinying Cyber Leopard 'Blood Red' x Hsinying Macasar 'Hsinying'), 80+mm leaf span (Qty 3)
Paph. Jennifer Stage (philippinense var alba x leucochilum var alba), 100-120mm leaf span (Qty 3)
Paph. Berenice (philippinense var alba x lowii var alba), 80+mm leaf span (Qty 3)
Paph. Shin-Yi Genevese (Shin Yi Lady x sanderianum), 60+mm leaf span (Qty 2)

Mostly hybrids, which should hopefully make it easier for a beginner! I didn't even ask whether the philippinense is var roebellinii or not, but I don't mind what it is at this stage. The nameless Maudiae type is in there as it should be easier to grow. The alba remakes of Jennifer Stage and Berenice should be interesting, I haven't seen any pictures of alba forms of these two, but maybe they're around and I just haven't found them. It seems albas can sometimes be a bit fussier, hmm... The Shin-Yi Genevese has a lot of sanderianum in it, I think it is ((((stonei x phil) x roth) x sand) x sand). I wonder how easy or hard it will be to grow?

In terms of growing areas, I have the choice of an east facing window or under a skylight (slope of the roof facing west). I'm going to experiment a bit but I think both areas should be fine, though I'm thinking the Shin-Yi Genevese will want more sun.

Wish me luck!!

Hubert

grow them in moderately low levels. if you can acquire a light meter, levels for the multifloral seedlings should not exceed 1500 footcandles for more than a couple hours and best if the light is around 800-1000 footcandles.the Berenice albas can tolerate a little more (1200 ..lowii influence) but you have to be careful with seedlings that small. The problem with experimenting with seedlings is that they may not respond quickly enough before the damage is done and if that happens recovery is very difficult.. humidity is important also...above 50 %ensures better growth although some hybrids do ok in lower conditions.

Thanks for the tips. So seedlings generally want a little less light than adult plants? Morning light from the east window might be a bit much then. I don't have a light meter...

...Paph. Berenice (philippinense var alba x lowii var alba), 80+mm leaf span (Qty 3)
The alba remakes of Jennifer Stage and Berenice should be interesting, I haven't seen any pictures of alba forms of these two, but maybe they're around and I just haven't found them. It seems albas can sometimes be a bit fussier, hmm...
Hubert
I have Berenice album, a 3 plant compot that I got off ebay a year ago, by April they were ready for individual pots, so I certainly don't think they're a bit fussy at all! I've not seen any pics either, I'm expecting they won't be true albas, like Lebaudyanum album (phili album x haynald alba), but maybe I'll be wrong at least on one plant!
I would think an east window would be ideal.

Hi, Hubert, I'm realizing that it's summer there, right? Just watch out for too much sun from both places. I'd start at the periphery of the light and work slowly inward for a couple weeks or so. I have an east window that's great as long as I use a diffusion blind or thin white cloth curtain during the hottest time of the day.

Thanks Chris! Yes it is summer here and it has been very warm and humid (much more humid than normal). The skylight is rather difficult to shade, but I can shade the east window and also move the table away from the window and then move it back gradually. Thanks for the idea :)

I have Berenice album, a 3 plant compot that I got off ebay a year ago, by April they were ready for individual pots, so I certainly don't think they're a bit fussy at all! I've not seen any pics either, I'm expecting they won't be true albas, like Lebaudyanum album (phili album x haynald alba), but maybe I'll be wrong at least on one plant!
I would think an east window would be ideal.

those were probably the ones i sold you, that cross is quite exceptional and can tolerate quite a bit of light....i grow them with my adult plants (but thats still around 1200 FC)...HCHAN...i would not give the sanderianum cross much light, sanderianum crosses bleach real easy, which is not good for seedlings. Best to start out with low light , you want the little ones to adjust under new conditions anyway... phil seedlings can take a little more but still not as much as adults...the Jennifer stage might be NBS so it can take adult light but watch the bleaching effect that happens with changes in environment...because phil and brachys have thick epidermal layers they give early signs of damage showing up as sunken tissue...this could mean a few things, and quite often accompanies changes in envt, as long as the sunken tissue doesnt spread too far , it should be okay

Hi, Hubert, I'm realizing that it's summer there, right? Just watch out for too much sun from both places. I'd start at the periphery of the light and work slowly inward for a couple weeks or so. I have an east window that's great as long as I use a diffusion blind or thin white cloth curtain during the hottest time of the day.

this is a great idea

Berenice alba sounds interesting! Those all sound like great choices for seedlings. I think you will do well with the multi's. All I can say is that they LOVE light, and lots of it!

Great purchase... Where did you get them from, if you don't mind my asking..? :)

I bought them from Ivan: www.ivanorchids.com.au. Some of the seedlings are the last ones of that particular type, but he has others still in stock that you can choose from. Plus he will have some new stock in 1-2 months. Are you based in Adelaide still or back overseas?

The seedlings arrived safely on Tuesday and seem to be settling in OK at this stage!

Looks good Hubert. Best of luck.

/= you will do well with the multi's. All I can say is that they LOVE light, and lots of it!

Only the adult plants though. I would keep the seedlings heavily shaded. Mine did so much better once I removed them from bright light.

David

Last edited:
emydura said:
Only the adult plants though. I would keep the seedlings heavily shaded. Mine did so much better once I removed them from bright light.

Thanks David! How many footcandles are your seedlings getting at the moment? BTW, do you still do that fish tank thing with your seedlings that I saw in another thread?

Yes I think Orchid Inn is one of the places he sources from, so you're likely to come across the same crosses. There's some extra info on the tags I haven't posted yet, so I'll do that tonight.

Thanks David! How many footcandles are your seedlings getting at the moment? BTW, do you still do that fish tank thing with your seedlings that I saw in another thread?

I wouldn't have a clue what the footcandles are. I have them on the bottom benches under 3 layers of 70% shade cloth. You don't want too much shade though as the leaves will get soft and then prone to rot.

I've got lots of Phalaenopsis growing in the fish tank at the moment. They are powering on. All the Paphs are in the glasshouse. A fish tank under lights is a good way to speed up your growth.

David

i think you can measure footcandles or lumens with a SLR camera's metering system and a piece of white paper. i dont remember how exactly (i used to do it years ago before i bought a light meter) but there are probably explanations on the internet..this is another source although i am not too sure about their method of shadow casting as a dependable measure of light intensity

http://www.ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm

Latest posts

Back