Slipper lover from Indiana!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jenn4a

Hello! I'm a current member on orchidboard but decided I should also join slipper talk. I live near Hilltop Orchid's and they have amazing phrags, paphs, and phals. :) other than slippers, I like: small phals, especially the waxy thick flower types, some cattleya types, catasetum types, vandas, oncidiums, and the small nobile dens. I like both Monopodial and sympodial orchids, and usually flowers that are round (like a vanda, but I think a vanda might be too big.) kind of random, but I also love the paph's fuzzy roots! :D I just wish paphs had more roots to work with. I don't have all the types I like listed, but hope to own some later on.

Right now I have
NoID phal that started it all.
Phal (Golden Bells x Golden Wish) x Hilltop's Jewel Huffman's Baby'
Lc. Final Blue 'Royal purple' from Kawamoto Orchids
A couple Lc. Mari's Songs seedlings. (These are sick)
Darwinara Rainbow stars

And now, what you will hopefully love: both Paphs are from Kawamoto, and the phrags are from Hilltop's
Paph. Ho Chi Minh
Paph. Sukhakulii

Phrag. Fritz Schomburg (poor thing had it's top leaves snapped off by my monster hands, but I hope it'll survive)
Phrag. Caudatum 'Jon Sauer'
Phrag. Red Lightning 'Windy Hill' x Caudatum 'Windy Hill'

Will definitely be adding more phrags and paphs to my collection!
I'll be on here with specific slipper questions, especially with repotting and monitoring them!

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to Slippertalk, Jenn4a. You have a nice varied collection. I do too, with about half of them slippers. Your collection will certainly grow here.

Hello there fellow Orchid Boarder (boarderer...boarderererer...erm...) and welcome. :D

My slippers are taking over my collection after joining this forum, so beware!

Hello there fellow Orchid Boarder (boarderer...boarderererer...erm...) and welcome. :D

My slippers are taking over my collection after joining this forum, so beware!

Wow, so many Slipper lovers on here :D Oh hello Mutant. I'm still on OB but I really like slippers and I hope they love it here. Most of the orchids I like aren't really suited for beginners or get too big... (like Catasetum, Vandas, and maybe some dendrobiums.) If my Phrags get too big, I can still make room for those though!

I got two more slippers today... this time they're bigger!
phrag. Fritz Schomburg... (to potentially replace my other one, this one has two growths)
Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements (This one came from awarded parents but I just got home so I'm trying to get everything situated.)
I will add a thread with some pics very soon! I'm debating on unpotting/repotting to check them out.

Thanks for the greetings everyone! I hope to fit right in :)

Wow, so many Slipper lovers on here :D Oh hello Mutant. I'm still on OB but I really like slippers and I hope they love it here. Most of the orchids I like aren't really suited for beginners or get too big... (like Catasetum, Vandas, and maybe some dendrobiums.) If my Phrags get too big, I can still make room for those though!

I got two more slippers today... this time they're bigger!
phrag. Fritz Schomburg... (to potentially replace my other one, this one has two growths)
Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements (This one came from awarded parents but I just got home so I'm trying to get everything situated.)
I will add a thread with some pics very soon! I'm debating on unpotting/repotting to check them out.

Thanks for the greetings everyone! I hope to fit right in :)
I'm still on OB as well. Not going to leave there anytime soon. :)

If you haven't ordered from the vendors before and don't know how they usually pot, what substrate they use etc, I would check the roots if I were you. I ordered 4 Paphs and a Den recently and I knew I would have to repot them all, because I've ordered from these vendors before and they always seem to overpot the Paphs and the plants usually have some sort of root rot going on as well. I also found a slug in the substrate of the Den as an extra bonus, so it's always good to check.

My experience so far is that I have to repot as a rule. The vendors I don't have to repot the Paphs from are very few (only one actually).

Ah yes, Phrags. They can get big apparently. I noticed when the second growth on one of my Phrags started growing after I got it home. Let's just say that the largest leaves it had on its first growth are the same size as the smallest on the second one... It tuned out to be a monster. To celebrate my future lack of space I went and bought some more Phrags (but I was a bit more clever this time around, and asked here on ST if the crosses I was interested in would become large or not). :rollhappy:

Luckily I have aquariums from my childhood. :) I used to live in a house full of aquariums! Both salt water and fresh water; but no discus. I loved African cichlids and South American cichlids. My all time favorites were catfish though, many different types. :D

So I still have a 10, 20 long, 29, 45? and a 55? I could possibly get other aquariums. I don't know without looking, but I have two big tanks somewhere.
I think I would be able to manage big slippers, but not so much big vanda types. I saw a huge vanda type orchid at hilltops. It reached all the way up the ceiling basically.... Now that I can't handle ;) also, I would like to get some easy nobile dens soon, but I saw dens that were nearly 40" tall with spike. :O I have a GSD who would love to play fetch with those canes.

Jenn4a, Motesorchids.online is selling all types of vandas, many miniatures. I visited Martin Motes's place the year after Hurricane Andrew hit and his place was still in shambles. It has been years since he's offered plants mail order and I discovered them on Facebook in November. Most are $10 and any size shipping is $12. He also winter ships with a heat pack. His specializes in minis and ones that have fragrance. You won't be sorry ordering from Dr. Motes !! I live close to South Bend, Indiana. Welcome !!

Latest posts

Back