Hello From Seattle!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koka_Khola

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have been a longtime lurker of this forum and finally decided I should just make an account. I have only grown orchids for the past 5 years (primarily Disas, Phals, and a handful of Phrags) but I've recently gotten into paphs. My family comes from the border of Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos (in Attapeu area) and we belong to one of the many hill tribes in the region. I got interested in paphs after a story my grandfather told me about seeing a giant mound of potential paphs near our families village (I tried showing him pictures but none of the paphs I showed him matched what he remembered). So now I am hopefully trying to figure out what plant he saw while also growing some of these slow growing beauties myself!

Attachments

• IMG_9983.jpg
    IMG_9983.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8691.jpg
    IMG_8691.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7189.jpg
    IMG_7189.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7178.jpg
    IMG_7178.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7173.jpg
    IMG_7173.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7545.jpg
    IMG_7545.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
Welcome!

Giant mound? Sounds like villosum?
Thank you for the idea! I talked to him today and showed him a picture of the villosum on the paphparadise website and he said it looked similar but it was dark red almost purple all over the pouch and that the top petal was flat/wider.

I will try to ask my relatives if anyone can find a similar/same plant and take a picture.

Another lurker from sort-of-Seattle...

Puyallup here!
I must confess, I did lurk around here before officially joining lol.

Then after a few years I joined when I got serious in growing better Paphiopedilums. Got a lot of great info and advice from here. That eventually culminated to my FCC!

And the friends on here are simply precious… some are even funny and others just outrageous!

Hi everyone!
I have been a longtime lurker of this forum and finally decided I should just make an account. I have only grown orchids for the past 5 years (primarily Disas, Phals, and a handful of Phrags) but I've recently gotten into paphs. My family comes from the border of Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos (in Attapeu area) and we belong to one of the many hill tribes in the region. I got interested in paphs after a story my grandfather told me about seeing a giant mound of potential paphs near our families village (I tried showing him pictures but none of the paphs I showed him matched what he remembered). So now I am hopefully trying to figure out what plant he saw while also growing some of these slow growing beauties myself!
Beautiful !

Latest posts

Back