Shape survey Pacific Shamrock X Golden Emperor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theorchidzone

Reaction score
Here is an awesome cross blooming out at OZ.

Pacific Shamrock X Golden Emperor

Please let me know which shape is your favorite.

#4 might be my favourite on a better blooming. I like the round appearance of #2 and #3 but wonder if they aren't a bit cuppy and if they are fully expanded?

I agree this is a wonderful and promising cross.

BTW #3 was blooming in a two inch pot. Flower as big as the plant. Cut the flower immediately.
JC

They all have some problems with asymmetry and pinches and bumps on this flowering, so I'm sure they can all improve. If I was choosing 1 to keep for myself it would be #4 without a doubt. When the petals tend to disappear within in the circle formed by the dorsal and synsepal the flower begins to look more like a satellite dish than a Paph. #4 is nice and full and round, but still looks like a Paph because the length and ruffle of the petals make them stand out just enough. Most AOS judges would probably disagree, but I'm not a member of that cult.

In order: 3, 2, 6, 4, 1, 5.

Is there a prize for guessing which one you like most? :poke:

I like 3 then 5.

Also, 6 is Pacific Shamrock, one of the parents. Not the exact clone used however. If 6 was everyone's first choice, then there would have been no sense in making the cross I suppose!

Survey pick

Despite the dented pouch and the droopy petals the last flower pictured in the sequence would be my choice for breeding on. The petal edges of this flower are smooth and not ragged. They appear to be the widest of all pictured flowers.
The dorsal is both tall and wide and rounds out the flower beautifully. The grex does appear to be a winner! Overall quite nice!

Why are people calling these complex? I've always known them as bulldogs all the old school growers call them bulldogs

Complex and Bulldog are synonymous.

They are indeed very complex. Some lineages go back 12-15 generations plus. And they really don't resemble anything in nature at this point, I would say.

In contrast, I would say that with other lines of breeding, eg. multifloral or mottled leaf type, the hybrids still resemble the species, or put another way, you can still see the species contributions in the hybrids.

Latest posts

Back