Semi-aquaponics--has anyone else tried this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Denverpaphman

Hello,
I used to have a fully functioning aquaponic system, with ten foot tomatoes and huge peppers. I have moved a few times since then and now no longer have the space for veggies and orchids, so I'm combining the system with my favorite plants! Right now most of what is in the system are just various tropical plants, but I have been switching orchids into hydroton and putting them into the grow area.

Has anyone else used aquaponics and orchids? I have had some warnings about salt build up but I have a several gallon felt-like grow bag filled with hydroton and plants, and that should be able to accommodate the build up--especially because I don't have many fish in the tank. So for I my Onc. have been taking off and my miniature orchids, but I've been wary to put my precious Paphs into such a wet environment....my Phrag. besseae seems to be enjoying it. Here's some pics of my messy grow set up....my Paph ballatulum and Paph villosum is in spike! And my Phrag ecuadorense is blooming!

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 49
Are the plants sitting in the tank of water?
If you consider an ebb n flow set up as aquaponics, then Yes, I have one for my phrags. Set it up back in Jan/Feb after Jason gave a presentation at our OS meeting. I'm lovin' it, as are the plants! I put bessie X's & any other swamp lovers in it, I could not grow straight bessies. My first bessie, a 'practice' one from Paphiness(OZ breeding) is respiking. I got brave enough to purchased a flavum & a 'select' (OZ breeding). I run it once a day for 1/2 hour, my plan was to increase to 2 x a day when it was hot but we had a rather mild summer so didn't feel the need. I have 2 rain barrels under my bench, one has straight rainwater, the other has a fertilizer, usually low K, sometimes kelp. Once a week I put the pump in the fertilizer barrel, other wise the rest of the time it's in the rainwater barrel. I hand water my other plants, so I'm regularly refreshing/changing the water. There are airstones in each barrel as well.

Latest posts

Back