Selenipedium aequinoctiale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting one of these next month and have been browsing the Internet and my library for cultural info on them. There is next to nothing! I was wondering if anyone here grows them, and if you could share your experiences with me. ANY info would be greatly appreciated, even on different species. Thanks!

I see that link goes to Clark Riley in 2003.

He has given a couple of talks to our Society over the last few years (definitely since 2003), and he was still growing plants from this genus.

He seems to have a pretty good handle on this rare in culture genus. I'd give him a call.

Clark's report is the only one of a successful culture I came across.

I tried this species once and failed, although I tried to follow his advice.

In a talk he gave last year, Alex Portilla described the single known habitat of the species. It is apparently tiny and not many plants known. I think the elevation was around 1000m, but I forgot about the dry/wet season cycle. They grow in a rich loam which keeps their feet cool, but require lots of sunlight, warmth, humidity and a strong breeze at the leaves.
Alex indicated that this species is almost impossible to grow. Actually, I got the impression that they don't even grow well for them at the nursery and that they don't know of many, if any, people who have succeeded to grow the plants they sold. He repeatetly meantioned the rareness of this species in the wild.

I am a happy customer of Ecuagenera, but I won't try this particular species again in the near future. Except flasks were available, since I'd expect seedlings out of flask should adapt better to our cultural conditions. The plants I received a couple of years ago looked like divisions.

Good luck with this beauty!

Carsten

Clark's report is the only one of a successful culture I came across.

I tried this species once and failed, although I tried to follow his advice.

In a talk he gave last year, Alex Portilla described the single known habitat of the species. It is apparently tiny and not many plants known. I think the elevation was around 1000m, but I forgot about the dry/wet season cycle. They grow in a rich loam which keeps their feet cool, but require lots of sunlight, warmth, humidity and a strong breeze at the leaves.
Alex indicated that this species is almost impossible to grow. Actually, I got the impression that they don't even grow well for them at the nursery and that they don't know of many, if any, people who have succeeded to grow the plants they sold. He repeatetly meantioned the rareness of this species in the wild.

I am a happy customer of Ecuagenera, but I won't try this particular species again in the near future. Except flasks were available, since I'd expect seedlings out of flask should adapt better to our cultural conditions. The plants I received a couple of years ago looked like divisions.

Good luck with this beauty!

Carsten

Thanks a lot - that is some good info! I have heard that this is a really tough one to grow, but I figure it's worth at least one shot.

I know someone that grows this but doesn't post here. I thought he grew them in some sort of aquarium substrate... Starts with an 'F' I think.

I know someone that grows this but doesn't post here. I thought he grew them in some sort of aquarium substrate... Starts with an 'F' I think.

Interesting; I have heard that sometimes it is grown successfully in an aquarium substrate called laterite as well. As I can only afford one plant I can't experiment with different media so I will likely use the one that Ecuagenera uses, which I believe is tree fern mixed with sand.

Latest posts

Back