Seaweed Product [Results after 8 months]

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if the kelp can get all the credit as opposed to cutting NPK and boosting Ca/Mg

I don't know Eggshells, I don't use any seaweed product and my roots are compatible to yours. As Rick said, cut back on NPK and upping the Ca/Mg may get some of that credit.

Need to add that KelpMax that Ray is currently selling,and that I have used for many months, has almost no detectable odor. I do keep the bottle refrigerated between use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It could very well be a combination of different things.

@Eron its a combination of fine bark, perlite, charcoal with a few shakes of dolomitic lime or oyster shell. Depending on the species.

I haven't used seaweed extract that long, only 6 months, but I've noticed some serious root growths among all my orchids. As a matter of fact, some of the Phals have turned into "root monsters" as I call them, and are in dire need of being repotted despite them being repotted around six months ago or an even less. One of my young Phals has changed pot size three times now, during this time period, and has started to grow out of its latest pot, but I refuse to repot it again. It's now planning to do some premiere blooming with two spikes.

The only Paph I can see the root system of is my cerveranum, and it has grown like mad since I got it, and it's planning to bloom again.

I'll see if I can upload some pictures tomorrow on my crazy ones.

Here is my worst root monster, my Phal. schilleriana:
This guy was shipped to me bare rooted in February and had some trouble adapting to my care and establish itself (it fell out of the pot among other things) until I potted it in the medium I use for 95% of my collection, bark/sphagnum/perlite, after that it took off like I don't know what.
247795.orig.jpg

247796.orig.jpg

Here's another of my monsters, my NoID Phal. Snow Mound (not registered) which I got around the same time as my schill. Funny thing about this one is that I was told that the nursery it came from is known for plants with a weak root system:
247797.orig.jpg

247798.orig.jpg

No monster, my little Paph. cervernaum, but its root system has grown very well I think:
247803.orig.jpg

Same with my Paph. Ashburtoniae, which I haven't had that long:
247804.orig.jpg

The little bastard is escaping from the pot...
247805.orig.jpg

Auxins will stimulate root growth to a degree, but they primarily stimulate root tip growth.

If they are playing a role, you will really see extensive branching, more than just lengthening.

Auxins will stimulate root growth to a degree, but they primarily stimulate root tip growth.

If they are playing a role, you will really see extensive branching, more than just lengthening.
I have some that are branching quite happily, but most of them just get lots and lots of roots. Seems pretty obvious to draw the conclusion then, that most of my Phals are insane if the seaweed extract doesn't influence them as much as I thought. ;)

Nice Roots the mutant.

By the way I repotted one of the philippinense that I got this May with no roots. I gave it an artificial roots with the form twist tie to stabilize the plant. I can't remove it now and I had to cut the pot to unpot it.

hHQzJ.jpg

j6Kag.jpg

Lovely roots. Btw, how do many to not get algae going in your clear pots?

Hi Haime, I grow it inside, I am not really sure why I have trouble growing algae. Maybe someone here can tell you?

The blue green slimes can grow in almost no light, so indoor vs outdoor is not the answer.

The bluegreen slimes really thrive under high NPK buildup.

So running much lower fertilizer rates and/or having a good flush rate could be keeping the environment to sparse for the algae.

The blue green slimes can grow in almost no light, so indoor vs outdoor is not the answer.

The bluegreen slimes really thrive under high NPK buildup.

So running much lower fertilizer rates and/or having a good flush rate could be keeping the environment to sparse for the algae.

I agree with Rick on that! Algae grows on moss easily.

Paphman910

Back