Seaweed Product [Results after 8 months]

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
The title of the thread says it all. It's been around 8 months since Rick told me about the seaweed brand that he was using. I was fortunate to find the same brand in the local hydroponic store.

I have never really paid very close attention since this morning and was quite surprised about the roots that are coming out of the pots and growing and grabbing the mesh.

Needless today I am very happy with the seaweed supplement. I am still unsure if the vigorous growth will have an effect with blooming and will suppress flowering in trade of growths. However, most plants seems to be normal and blooming in their seasons with normal flowers. In fact a good amount of them are either in sheath and in bud.

I guess a picture speaks a thousand words so here are a few of them. These are all potted just this spring and summer.:

Here is one of my P. philippinense roots

LBlxQl.jpg

qc5tSl.jpg

lm7Ttl.jpg

roths:

iaR3hl.jpg

DRg8el.jpg

bVXaMl.jpg

CBCZel.jpg

6YyTnl.jpg

hang:

there is more in the other side of the pot.

rtW8Fl.jpg

stonei roots growing in the mesh and circling around

2p3f7l.jpg

DCZjZl.jpg

oYfjSl.jpg

So just a few pictures because there is too many to post but I thought some people may find it interesting.

The only thing I did is that I reduce fertilizing significantly. Just 1ml/gallon of water and feed every two weeks. And seaweed (same amount) alternately. However, when I was asking about water quality. Leo mentioned that my tap water was fine and so I did just that. Just use plain tap water however I don't let it dry out as per his instructions. I think it is important to note that it has lots of ca/mg. Maybe around 60 ppm ca and and 20 ppm mg.

Very nice growing! Are they ''wet'' trays they are sitting on?

It's just my drip catcher tray. When I water I just put the whole mesh tray in the sink with the pots then I flush them with water. That's why I didn't really see the root activity until I checked them one by one or repot them.

Here is the malipoense that is pushing the side of the pot and these are not flimsy pot. They are thick rands pots.

vYTTnl.jpg

r1LPTl.jpg

SSswUl.jpg

Also a this used to be two growth spicerianum in flower that I posted last year around this time (October 2011). It's nine growth plant now.

jVbT1l.jpg

Hcd3dl.jpg

It's just my drip catcher tray. When I water I just put the whole mesh tray in the sink with the pots then I flush them with water. That's why I didn't really see the root activity until I checked them one by one or repot them.

Here is the malipoense that is pushing the side of the pot and these are not flimsy pot. They are thick rands pots.

vYTTnl.jpg

r1LPTl.jpg

SSswUl.jpg

Also a this used to be two growth spicerianum in flower that I posted last year around this time (October 2011). It's nine growth plant now.

jVbT1l.jpg

Hcd3dl.jpg

Thats a beautiful malipo!! I love this sp. even without flowers.

Yes, Neptune has great products. I use there fish and kelp blend in my own garden.

Latest posts

Back