Seaweed liquid extract

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brabantia

Reaction score
In order to boost the growth of my Paphiopedilums I bought (in France) 250 ml of seaweed liquid extract. For regular use the notice recommended to use 2 ml of the product for 10 liters of water. Before adding the fertilizer (like MSU) the pH of the solution is 4.7 . After the fertilizer addition (0.5 gr/L) the pH climb to 5.8. I must add 10% (vol) of tap water to achieve a pH of 6.5 (we have a very hard tap water: 135 mgr/L Ca++ and 20 mgr/L Mg++). Is the salts content of this solution to hight for fertilize once a week? Is the KELPAK so acidifying in RO water solution? Thank you very much for your comments.

If your initial make up for fertilizer and kelp was in RO/distilled or rain water, then a 10 percent addition of your hard water is an excellent way to get a little Ca and Mg into the system.

It's pretty much what I do except I don't use a high potassium fertilizer any more.

The kelp products here are quite alkaline..9 or 10...due to the processing.
If it is acid it has probably been fermented..which is apparently a better way of producing organic products.
I think once a month is enough for seaweed.

The seaweed I use also has a pH of around 4.7 diluted in ro. I don't add enough fertilizer to change the pH more then .4. I don't really have a set regimen feeding kelp. I feed about every 2 weeks. Ray had/has a product call Solo which is kelp and may in the same bottle and recommend to apply weekly.

The manufacturer of KelpMax recommends it be kept at a pH of under 7....

Solo (MSU RO + KelpMax) is intended for use every two weeks, not more often.

Latest posts

Back