Santa Barbara International Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note to anyone that wants Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology of China to send you flasks or plants from the show. I just got in touch with Wenqing in China as there site is now back up. They have the same list of flasks and plants available that they had at the D.C. Paph forum a couple of weeks ago. You can check out
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23432&page=3
as Ray had gotten us all of the information. They would need to know as soon as possible to make this happen but would be happy to. I can vouch for the large size of plants in flask although my count was more around 15 not 20 to 25 plants.

I'll be going I think, probably on Saturday. I wish I could go for some flasks... but not really practical for me unfortunately :(

Hi Hubert

Ask anyone of this forum and they will tell you I'm not too good with flasks myself. I do however know that their plants are large in flask and lets just take the hangianum flask as as example. One mature plant cost $150 a flask of 15 or so strong seedling cost $150. If you grow up more than a couple of them you did well. I was also thinking of possible offering members here a mixed compot of seedling in a few months. Don't know of there would be any interest or not.

Please check out Tokyo Nursery and report to us. They should have some great roths. and well as other plants. I don't know what prices, that might charge, but it would be the first place I'd be heading.

How far do you live from the event?

Hubert I have to agree with Bob here, I can vouch that the Tokyo Orchid Nursery has the highest quality flasks I have seen, and you get 30 plants per flask, but they are expensive.

I find most of their stuff is ready for tube straight out of flask.

I live in the LA area, so I'm about an hour and a half away. Flasks are difficult for me because of lack of space and also because I tend to move countries regularly; so I'd never get to see them grow up and bloom...

So, what the heck, is Hubert the only one going to this event. I'd give my eye teeth to go this year. Come on, who's going? It's only 2 days away. I want to live vicariously threw our members who are fortunate enough to go and see both Tokyo Nursery and Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology. I'd be there with bells on if I could.

Looks like Keith will be there on Friday, so we will miss each other... No Neofinetia extravaganza this year though, unlike last year's special Neo show and judging.

I'll be there Fri...... I'll also have to hit up SBOE too.

Don't forget Cal-Orchid who is just across the road from them :) I don't think I've posted this photo before, I'm pretty sure it's Cal-Orchid...

Orchidnursery.jpg

Yes sure... I have been there twice! I have received a few plants from them that I was not impressed with for the price. I'm still going to stop in.

I got thrown out by the orchid police before I could finish seeing the exhibits because I had illegally brought my purchased plants into the exhibit area.

Ah OH! Big NO NO!:poke: I believe they have some sort of orchid 'hotel' there for leaving your purchases at, but I don't know what that arrangement is like. I'm still in the 'wish I was there' mode.

How many Volkswagens did you count? I think there were three, but I got thrown out by the orchid police before I could finish seeing the exhibits because I had illegally brought my purchased plants into the exhibit area.

I'm surprised you got that far!!!! I only remember two but I was too psyched out. :p

What displays did you like? There where three that jumped out at me.... Andy's, SBOE display of speciosums and the interactive display with the paphs.

I have photos, will post soon!

I actually did that, but they caught me at the entrance and I took my plants to the hotel :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back