rothschildianum season at OZ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are very nice. I'll take the one on the right.

My preference would be better stem length, darker colour and longer petals to balance the 'chunkiness' of the flower.
But Id have one in a flash! They are magnificent.

A taller spike with better spaced flowers would be my preference. The flowers are very bunched like most roths seem to be. Do roth breeders ever consider this trait? I remember someone saying the Taiwanese like well spaced flowers but the US breeders preferred them bunched? I'm not sure if there is any truth to this.

Because I have bloomed many Roths, seen many in bloom and repeat bloomed many. I prob have a collection of around 1000 or more Roths. I've never counted so I don't know exactly. I'm not trying boast I just want you to know that I'm not just trying to antagonize you or blow smoke. Roths are something I've been fairly passionate about over the past 14 yrs. Most Roths can get 4 well placed flowers. A decent number of good crosses if grown superbly can get 5. 6 is probably mostly genetics and great growing. There is a reason you see so few Roths in this forum grown by hobbyist hit even 4 flowers but on a good year if you go to OZ or TON you will see many with 5 flowers. Some of it may be genetics but most of it is environment. Spacing and stem length is highly affected by environment. Mainly light and temperature.

Why not always bloom them perfectly? Because it is super hard to control every factor of the environment. Especially in a greenhouse. Very few people know what most Roths need and how when to let them bloom. Allowing an immature plant to bloom also causes poor stem length, flower number and spacing.

Could you give us some observations on culture that you've picked up through experience? I'm not trying to be a smart alec; I'm genuinely curious.

I respect your views but that doesnt disprove genetics play a part in flower spacing. Have you been able to 'manipulate' stem length on the same clones by changing the environment?
I'd apprecite hearing more about your experience and especially your growing conditions and how you came to them.
Where are you?
Much appreciated - we can learn a lot from those more experienced.

I respect your views but that doesnt disprove genetics play a part in flower spacing. Have you been able to 'manipulate' stem length on the same clones by changing the environment?
I'd apprecite hearing more about your experience and especially your growing conditions and how you came to them.
Where are you?
Much appreciated - we can learn a lot from those more experienced.

yes I agree genetics plays a role in everything but most roths are capable of making nice stems with decently spaced flowers. Are there some clones that won't be able to? Im sure there are but no many. Sometimes all the multis blooming at once will bloom with long stem to first flower with tightly spaced flowers. Sometimes the group will bloom with short space to first flower. Many factors influence stem length flower spacing and direction. Try taking a roth while it is spiking and blooming and move it to a different light intensity,direction and day duration. Then change the day and night temp. See what happens.

They are very nice. I'll take the one on the right.

A taller spike with better spaced flowers would be my preference. The flowers are very bunched like most roths seem to be. Do roth breeders ever consider this trait? I remember someone saying the Taiwanese like well spaced flowers but the US breeders preferred them bunched? I'm not sure if there is any truth to this.

something like that?

P1160077.JPG

something like that?

]

Perfect Paul. The spacing is incredible. Combined with the colour, that is as nice a roth as I have seen. You rarely see roths with flowers that far apart. I wonder how much of this is genetic or environmental. You had another seedling flower from the same cross at the same time, and its flowers didn't display as well.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30645&highlight=rothschildianum

Where is this roth up to Paul? Will it flower again soon?

Perfect Paul. The spacing is incredible. Combined with the colour, that is as nice a roth as I have seen. You rarely see roths with flowers that far apart. I wonder how much of this is genetic or environmental. You had another seedling flower from the same cross at the same time, and its flowers didn't display as well.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30645&highlight=rothschildianum

Where is this roth up to Paul? Will it flower again soon?

It should bloom in June or July, I hope. Plant size is much bigger now (almost 1m wide now with 50cm leaves). I should also have a brother of the same cross that has not bloomed yet, mutligrowths big plant :D

It certainly grabs your attention but it appears the ventral is wider than the dorsal which is a bit unusual.

That picture with three beautiful roths lined up just made me totally speechless.
I can't believe I don't have one yet...

Latest posts

Back