Rick's K-Lite in 'Orchids'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read the article. It was presented well and easy enough to follow. The conclusions are completely logical, well thought out.

Fantastic article Rick. I look forward to trying out K-Lite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the article. It was presented well and easy enough to follow. The conclusions are completely logical, well thought out.

Thanks Hera.

I really anguished on how to present a lot of interconnected, almost circular, data in a logical flow that we could all follow.

Rick, you accomplished your goal...even for me. Of course, you were
preaching to the converted to me. It's nice to have solid scientific information
to reach the doubters.

In the article, top of page 168, it says:
"... several articles in the [Antec] reading room ... of the main points to take home ... [is] the ion exchange capacity of coconut husk favoring the monovalent cations (sodium and potassium) in favor of the divalent cations (magnesium and calcium)"

I don't see in the Antec articles where this is said. In fact the article says that it is easy to replace the sodium and potassium with calcium and magnesium by soaking in water with a small amout of calcium and magnesium salts. In fact the article goes on to say that even if you don't pretreat with Ca and Mg salts: "What then happens is that you cation exchange calcium and magnesium for sodium and potassium in your early fertilized irrigations ... [but] If you irrigate heavily as we recommend, the problem is quite temporary and limited."

Emphasis added is mine.

Great article, Rick! Congrats! Been using k lite since October last year and all of the new growths and leaves have been bigger and greener. Especially evident in the new parvi leaves. The mottling is more pronounced.

Congratulations for your excellent article published in Orchid. I read it and read it again, it synthesizes very well the whole discussions we had on this forum.
But ... I am very curious to know if the excellent results mentioned by those who use K-lite are obtained using this one at a concentration of 40 to 50 ppm of Nitrogen and with a once per week frequency for Paphs as you use it.

But ... I am very curious to know if the excellent results mentioned by those who use K-lite are obtained using this one at a concentration of 40 to 50 ppm of Nitrogen and with a once per week frequency for Paphs as you use it.

Thanks Brabantia

I've been kind of curious why many coments have come back that this was only done for Paphs when at least 1/2 of the pictures in the article are on non paph species, and I mention that I have many other things besides Paphs.

With only a few plants (Gongoras) everything in my GH has been getting the same fert regime.

But with regard to feeding rate, I saw universal good results in the first several months (pre K lite, but still reduced K) at 100ppm N I tapered off to 50ppm primarily for pot TDS reduction, and saw more good results. Some folks are still at 100ppm N and still seeing good results. Also going into winter mode, most people would cut down on either frequency or concentration anyway. So when we get back into summer mode, I will reassess (especially the big specimen plants) to see if I want to use 100ppm N again.

Back