Question on bloom improvement

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with Paph blooms, so how much realistically can I expect a plant to improve on it's second blooming. Specifically, is there a chance the striping on the dorsal sepal will clean up? Or is that much of an improvement not realistic?

To show what I mean. Please ignore the bad arrangement, when I got this plant in spike, I just set it down at the outside of my lights, and the spikes grew towards the light.

PaphPinkStreamers_zps9b67c0af.jpg

PaphPinkStreamers_zpse70b2a87.jpg

It's Pink Streamers (Dr. Jack x phillipenense)

On subsequent bloomings, you might get larger flowers and overall improved shape. Often times, anomalies like "teeth", color streaks and deformities go away.

In the specific case of the flower you posted, I would think there's a good chance the pouch coloration would improve in terms fewer color streaks in favor of more consistent spotting and tinting. It's possible the dorsal might be held more flat, but I really suspect that the dorsal coloration is pretty much what it's always going to be (i.e. dark colors but lacking in distinct stripes/venation).

So, if by "clean up" you mean more distinct, discrete stripes and less bleeding, then the answer is, probably not.

I'd believe the tag and I doubt it will clean up but if shape improves, does it need to clean up?

Latest posts

Back