Pterostylis abrupta

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisk

Reaction score
One of our native terrestrial orchids. I've heard they're not so popular in the US, not sure why, as they make a stunning display with a large pot full. They're easy to flask, and produce many additional tubers each year.

17406595104_ef0128981d_c.jpg

Great photograph and a nice looking Pterostylis. So hard to get the corms over here.

They actually check outgoing post/shipping?
Interested to know what yo are looking for in exchange?

I'm not sure how well it's policed, but fines are substantial, and that's one list I never want to end up on. Seed is easy to get in and out, and you end up with a lot more plants, and plants that are in sync with your seasons.

There is an awful lot of stuff that is easily available in the US but not here. Here are a few of the things I'm looking for:

Diploprora truncata
Dendrobium cruttwellii
Dendrobium laevifolium
Dendrobium masarangense
Aerangis punctata
Angraecum urschianum
Rossioglossum hagsaterianum
Rossioglossum insleayi
Rossioglossum splendens
Psychopsis limminghei
Trichocentrum tigrinum
Paphiopedilum species (particularly the small species i.e canhii, rungsuriyanum, thaianum)
Phragmipedium species (particularly the smaller species i.e manzurii, besseae)
Pleione species
Telipogon species
Sophronitis species

OK, seeds then; but getting seeds of the ones on your list is 100x more difficult than getting plants. :(

I think it stems from the perception that putting pods on plants weakens them. What most people don't realise is that most of the energy goes into production of the inflorescence in the first place. At that point, the ovary and tissue is already formed. Sure there is some energy used to actually produce seed, but it's not much in the scheme of things. I have Paphs that have been carrying pods for the last 3 years straight, and they still grow and flower well. If the plants are not being culture well, then sure this will negatively affect them.

Well some of it is it's more common to find plants rather than have a seed pod available in a timely fashion. :)

But that's kind of my point, why is it that people don't set pods on their plants?! For many species, it's the only effective way of producing more of them. You can also make good money selling seed or using it to trade for seed or even plants. I don't get why there is such a reluctance to do it. I have pods on all my plants all of the time. And no surprisingly, I have a rather large collection of seed for propagation and to make available to others.

Asuka orchids has some Pterostylis species (not abrupta) under the miscellaneous and specials sections. After seeing this post, I'm strongly considering buying some!

I first saw Pterostylis on Kangaroo Island in 1992. I loved them, but had no idea what they were. I'd love to grow them here, but Aussie orchids are very tough to find here.

Latest posts

Back