Problem with my Living Fire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
I have a blooming Living Fire. I was so excited to see it in bloom as I was told it would be a long wait before that happened. So, I noticed a spike forming a few months ago and I was ecstatic! Yeah!! But, I have now noticed that the first bud seems to be stalled, the ovary is not growing in sync with the bud which is getter bigger and fatter. The next bud seems to be forming in the sheaf but again the ovary seems to have stopped growing. Someone did once tell me that L.F was a difficult hybrid and prone to deformity. It is the first time blooming so should I be worried or will it correct itself next bloom cycle?

20130429_113827_zps65f577a5.jpg

20130429_113610_zpsa7878483.jpg

20130429_113648_zps60a3ebee.jpg

20130429_113745_zps0d0c9807.jpg

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. It is what it is. Wait for the final product and then access the plant. First blooms can have issues. How long have you had this plant?

Thanks Rick, I have had the plant since sept 11 so it is a first for me. I got two of them in the same pot - which I think was done to make the plant look blooming sized when it was infact just two young plants potted up together! I repotted and have since seen them grow and develop new growths. I am hopeful that it sorts itself out. I actually wanted a Paul Eugene Conroy but when it arrived it was a Living Fire as the seller had sold out of PEC and thought that I wouldn't mind that instead!

I would wait to and see what comes, you can nothing do against it.
Mqaybe it will be better then you think

Looks OK by me! As others have said, not anything you can do about it and chances are it will turn out fine. I haven't heard that Living Fire is a difficult hybrid, prone to defects, actually, quite the opposite! PEC is a really nice cross as well!

Thanks for all of the responses. But, at this point growth has stopped, I am not sure if the bud is getting fatter but the new bud is no longer growing so it looks as if it is going to be an interesting looking bloom when / if it finally does open.

They do say that but then they also say that seeing is believing and so far all that I am seeing is a slow growing (or not at all growing) bud and a new bud forming behind it which too is stalled. Here is what it looks like today

20130501_163213_zpsbfbd1e3f.jpg

20130501_163156_zps0e7c5c1b.jpg

Not much difference from the other day. The good news however
is that I have just noticed that my other young L.F. is now also in low spike so I shall soon know whether this hybrid is flawed or whether it is just the one that I have.

QUIT picking at your bud!
The protective sheath is (was) there for a reason.
That sheath creates an environment for the bud to develop in and without it the tender flower tissue is exposed to a harsh environment.

Latest posts

Back