Prince Edward of York (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x rothschildianum 'New Horizon' FCC/AOS)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
This one is a recent addition (12/10/20) from Sam and my first paph. of any sort from this particular "Section." It (obviously!) was blooming size, but I still had no idea that it was going to spike any time soon. It deserves better pictures, but I couldn't resist some initial shots.
L52A0443.JPGL52A0443 (3).JPGL52A0435 (2).JPG

Last edited:

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for posting. My basic wish-list was answered. I especially wanted the red pouch, and for the petals to have some shoulder and some twisting. The plant itself seems quite vigorous. :)

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
That's nice to hear. I should have clipped the stake - a "terrible" breach of aesthetics. But this is my first and I really didn't know what it was going to do. :)
Now I want a real sanderianum. I have a large under-light orchid bench in progress. I thought foolishly that I could fill it with cattleyas. There are two stages of orchid mania: The original orchid-bug, and then the Paphiopedilum variant. I don't think there's a vaccine for either one, thank goodness.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, that's a lot of bloom for a single growth plant. Good acquisition, thanks for sharing.
It is a lot of bloom, isn't it? I don't know standard practice for selling BS divisions of these sanderianum-type multi-florals. It would have been produced by a larger plant and then divided off for sale? What I'm wondering is how long it may be before this happens again.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
It's always a feast for the eyes to see these nice flowers of a PEOY.

.........What I'm wondering is how long it may be before this happens again.
Depends on your culture......but definitely not in one yaer time. Two or three years should be realistic, I think.

Last edited:

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I hope you don't think this plant is a division. That's not Sam's practice. He does have a category call, 'Select' on his website for plants he deems high quality of previous bloomed or divisions of awarded or potentially awardable plants. I have this same cross and it was a single fan with 3 flowers which will take 2 years to rebloom. As a side note, I bought another PEOY from him of a different mating which should be here Wednesday. I imagine it will be a single, maybe with a start, in spike. Its not uncommon to bloom multies from single fans.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you don't think this plant is a division. That's not Sam's practice. He does have a category call, 'Select' on his website for plants he deems high quality of previous bloomed or divisions of awarded or potentially awardable plants. I have this same cross and it was a single fan with 3 flowers which will take 2 years to rebloom. As a side note, I bought another PEOY from him of a different mating which should be here Wednesday. I imagine it will be a single, maybe with a start, in spike. Its not uncommon to bloom multies from single fans.
I hadn't really thought it through. Makes sense. Thanks for the timing info too! Looking forward to pictures of your new one.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Really? Thanks. I like the colors a lot. I think it can be better. Hopefully with future blooming... There is evidence in the first flower for the characteristics that miss. A little more shoulder and heft to the petals. The petals of the final flower show a stronger tendency to twist. It will be an adventure to nurture this plant for many years.

Latest posts