Potinara (RLC) Gene Crocker ‘Red Cherry’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe Jens, yes I have a cattleya collection, usually unifoliate species as well as a novelty phal collection! I don't post them as much but may do so later.

So 9 months have passed, over a pandemic and a crazy US election, my plant has decided to cheer me with 3 (possibly 4) blooming leads of 3:2:3 buds/flowers.

The first 3 flowers are just popped. Will update the rest as they open.

4400F81F-13C7-45CF-B5C0-2372867DDC33.jpeg12186C5C-7FBD-4FD1-9C3A-F3891C7E6193.jpeg

I have never detected any scent on this flower. I suspect that the coccinea red genes suppressed the need due to the the sole reason that bright red color alone attracts the pollinators (hummingbirds).

I have a Potinaria Spicy that is a nice red and is scented (I've posted it on here previously and it is in bud again at the moment). With the genetics of complex hybrids it won't be as simple as the colour linking simply to lack of scent unfortunately.

I have a Potinaria Spicy that is a nice red and is scented (I've posted it on here previously and it is in bud again at the moment). With the genetics of complex hybrids it won't be as simple as the colour linking simply to lack of scent unfortunately.
Very true. The complexity of the hybrids coming from large cattleyas are such unknown inheritable traits. Many small mini catts are fragrant and others in the same batch of siblings may not. So it’s anyone’s guess.

Back