Pollinating Phrags?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

How do you successfully pollinate phrags, they don't seem to take when I pollinate them so I don't know what im doing wrong. Is it possible to self x a phrag? All my paphs take and I guess pollination is the same way?

Yes timing is touchier on Phrags since they are shorter lived flowers.

I also think humidity has something to do with it too.

I selfed my pearcei for about 6 attempts with no success when my GH ran under 50% humidity. Then since boosting humidity to 60-70% I get pretty routine success on phrag pollinations (including that same pearcei).

Different species and hybrids may also have their own "special problems".

It is not as easy as pollinating Papiopedilum but the process is basically the same.
Here you can find some tips:
https://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/article.php?number=33

Ive found that in some species you must act fast... the pollen "dries" quite fast and it is best to transfer the pollen the same day that the flower opens.

Some people use a little bit of honey to attach it to the stigma.

From my limited understanding, some phrags are genetic mules incapable of producing offspring. This is especially prevalent in triploid (3n) plants, where the plant has been bred from a diploid (2n) parent and a tetraploid (4n) parent. What are you attempting to cross?

Hmm :) my besseae's label doesn't say anything about ploidy, can I assume it's just "normal" whatever that is?

Some people use a little bit of honey to attach it to the stigma.

This could be a slick trick that I haven't needed to try myself yet (but was prepared to do if it "fell off one more time:mad:).

Have you tried this one successfully eteson?

This could be a slick trick that I haven't needed to try myself yet (but was prepared to do if it "fell off one more time:mad:).
Have you tried this one successfully eteson?

Hi Rick, I´ve tried it but with partial success only. I think that too much honey does not work. The best could be to use only a little bit in the 1/2 of the pollinarium (not covering it totally).

I have found medicinal glycerine to work well. (I am studiously refraining from being drawn into the honey/kitchen table slant, .... honey and vanilla ice-cream!)

Back