Please, stop me before shopping spree commences

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
So, my lack of a Henry has got me starting to check where to get one. My favourite Paph supplier, Asendorfer, has Henrys, BS, too. The problem is, Asendorfer has other Paphs too, Paphs that I've been pondering about getting for a while. The other problem is; I can afford it at the moment. A Mutant with money and a Paph itch to scratch, is not a good combination.

A Henry is a must though, so don't try to talk me out of getting one of them. What I do need you to talk me out of buying are:
Paph. dayanum
Paph. tigrinum 'Tigerland' x self
Paph. wilhelminae

Please, tell me how difficult each of these species are so I can leave them in Germany without any regrets. I already know I'm insane for getting a parishii, for example (since I can't really provide the low temperatures it needs to flower), so stop me from repeating this insanity.

Alright, I'm counting on you guys! :rollhappy:

A paph. wilhelmenia once kicked my dog and bit me in the ankle. They're just as violent as larger breeds like roth, but fortunately they aren't big enough to do the same kind of damage. Oh, and never, never feed them after midnight.

That's all that is on your list? I'd be adding at least four more! :clap::poke::clap:

PS....get the parishii and send it to me. :D

A paph. wilhelmenia once kicked my dog and bit me in the ankle. They're just as violent as larger breeds like roth, but fortunately they aren't big enough to do the same kind of damage. Oh, and never, never feed them after midnight.
Okay, how do they feel about cats? Are they as vicious against kitties, or are they more accepting? Maybe I could train it to attack my neighbors... :wink:

That's all that is on your list? I'd be adding at least four more! :clap::poke::clap:

PS....get the parishii and send it to me. :D
That's all from Asendorfer, trust me. There's still maaaany more Paphs that I want, but, luckily for my wallet, he doesn't have them.

I already have the parishii, and it seems quite happy on my sink unit (?). When I've failed to flower it for a couple of years, I'll send it to you. :D

Wilhelminaes are pretty easy to grow when you have a big plant. Give them bright light and they will grow well for you. For me wilhelminae and praestans get the brightest light of all my paphs actually. Be careful with watering when you get young plants, they dry out quickly because of their thin roots and leaves. In nature the very smallest young plants are shaded by the grass above them.

Look at these pictures in situ and you will understand that they are pretty much exposed to the sun:

photographs:plant_photography:orchids:paphiopedilum:paphiopedilum_wilhelminae14.jpg

source: http://culturesheet.org/orchidaceae:paphiopedilum:wilhelminae

160905m.jpg

source: http://orchid.unibas.ch/phpMyHerbar.../wilhelminae/Williams_Louis_Otto/specimen.php

You see the yellowish tips and the very fleshy leaves?

Here is a picture of P. praestans (not wilhelminae as in the description), exposed to the sun in the same way. There is an interesting fact, that these colonies survive fires.
clp050020.jpg

source: http://www.wildborneo.com.my/photo.php?k=papua&p=1&i=2

I have no clue how to get rid of these emoticons in the link. Very intelligent program. It converts the characters of links to emoticons :evil:

Since you've already done it...good. I did too. Two very nice fairries and
a BIG multi-growth niveum. All three beautiful with great roots and not
too many $$$$$. You and I can just be happy and broke together! I love
Thanh Nguyen.

We have raised you well. :)
That you have, my dear enablers. :rollhappy:

If you don't order the Paphs you want you could regret it later. Plus, they are easier to get along with than most people! :)
You're absolutely right, Eric. I never did order that Paph. Dollgoldi this spring, and I still regret it. I'm going to save up some money, and hope that Sam still has it next spring. Lesson learned.

And I prefer my Paphs over most people actually, but that's because I'm one of those unsocial people (unless it's via internet, that's pretty okay). So again, you're right. :rollhappy:

Wilhelminaes are pretty easy to grow when you have a big plant. Give them bright light and they will grow well for you. For me wilhelminae and praestans get the brightest light of all my paphs actually. Be careful with watering when you get young plants, they dry out quickly because of their thin roots and leaves. In nature the very smallest young plants are shaded by the grass above them.

Look at these pictures in situ and you will understand that they are pretty much exposed to the sun:

[Pictures]

You see the yellowish tips and the very fleshy leaves?

Here is a picture of P. praestans (not wilhelminae as in the description), exposed to the sun in the same way. There is an interesting fact, that these colonies survive fires.
Interesting facts. :) I have a praestans var. gardineri, and I'm really curious about the difference between the two species, which was why I got a wilhelminae too. And who in their right mind, can resist such a small multiflora? Not me, anyway. I really look forward to my order. :drool:

Since you've already done it...good. I did too. Two very nice fairries and
a BIG multi-growth niveum. All three beautiful with great roots and not
too many $$$$$. You and I can just be happy and broke together! I love
Thanh Nguyen.
This forum is great for enabling our collections, but not our wallets I think. :rollhappy: That tigrinum cost me a pretty penny, so I really hope I'll be able to grow it well.

You call that a shopping spree? Psssth, I call that getting off easy. I just got a flask of Phrag. Twilight Touch 2 weeks ago, Last week a flask of Paph. Molly Ott, a flask of Paph. Tim van Rooy, and a flask of Paph. Castleanum. Two more Phrag. flasks were on my doorstep when I got home today(Phrag. Audrey and Phrag. Acker's Ballerina x dealesandroi), I have a flask of Paph. helenae and Paph. tranlienianum that will be delivered tomorrow. I also have a friend looking for a few complex Paph. flasks as well.
I think I spend at least $250 to $300 a MONTH on flasks, every month(bare minimum), not to mention expanding my growing area constantly. I have a shopping problem, you, my friend are an AMATURE!:drool:

Considering that she lives in a small apartment in Sweden, I think it is fortunate that she does not accumulate plants as quickly as you do. I suspect there will not be too much room to expand her grow area unless she makes her neighbours very very excited!

Trithor is absolutely correct. I don't have room for that amount of Paphs and I don't have the money either. ;) And I could never take care of so many either, so for me, this is a shopping spree (especially since I'm not supposed to increase my collection any further).

I'm honestly starting to get a bit worried about what is going to happen in the future. If, all of my potential large multiflora make it, I'm going to be out of room. I think I'll even have a problem keeping all the barbatas as they grow bigger... Not something I should worry about now though. :D

You call that a shopping spree? Psssth, I call that getting off easy. .. . I have a shopping problem, you, my friend are an AMATURE!:drool:

I agree! :p

I don't have room for that amount of Paphs and I don't have the money either. ;) And I could never take care of so many either, ..

Only one of these statments is probably correct. If you expand vertically you could probably fit more plants. If you figure out an efficient watering/maintenance routine you can care for moreplants. Money, .. Good luck w/ that one, I recommend trading. :)

Back