Pink Sky in Sheath!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happypaphy7, what kind of T8 tubes are You using currently? Color temperature? Type?
I observed similar signs on my plants' leaves, as You. More white parts on roth x parvy hybrid leaves + brighter colors on the base of leaves. No other disadvantageous parts. Healthy roots, even bigger and wider leaves, etc. Need to open a new thread to discuss it. Thx: Matyas

Come on, ugly flower, probably virused! :evil:

and small flowers!
It has been developing so fast, but now that the bud is opening up, it has slowed down significantly!

Well, I have quite a few of these hybrids, not exactly Pink Sky, but.
Trust me, one of these days when I get fed up with them for not blooming, I will throw them all out. I have no mercy. :p

I will update with a photo once this bud opens up fully. It is taking its sweet time.

Happypaphy7, what kind of T8 tubes are You using currently? Color temperature? Type?
I observed similar signs on my plants' leaves, as You. More white parts on roth x parvy hybrid leaves + brighter colors on the base of leaves. No other disadvantageous parts. Healthy roots, even bigger and wider leaves, etc. Need to open a new thread to discuss it. Thx: Matyas

Hay, Matt, yes, let's open up a new thread to talk about this.

Short answers, though, I use just a regular T8 bulbs for residential use.
It is white light with 6100K.

I think the light might be on the maximum side, but I need some light experts to explain all the details.

Well, technically, there are no "white" parts on these hybrids, although I know what you mean. The lighter area and then darker green area.
but the pattern you describe only fits my "straight" parvis. The silvery white part has become more prominent than green part.
For the roth x parvi hybrids, the entire green tone has changed, not necessarily the "white" part getting larger.
this is all too strange to me, but I at least like the look of certain parvi leaves when there is more silvery part than green. So pretty! haha

Happy, don't be upset with the plant, and do something rash.

I had a very large Pink Sky (about 20-25 mature growths in a 10" pot that I sold as part of my recent plant clear-out), and over the years, it bloomed ugly and beautiful off and on, even sometimes different growths on the same cycle. I cannot be certain, but it seemed more to do with maintaining the culture extremely consistent than anything else, especially temperature.

How long have you had it before "chucking" it? :)
It sounds like it was at least an occasional bloomer.

Once the spike got a bit too tall, I took it out of the light set up and placed it by the window. It is much cooler there and no danger of burning the buds off. lol

I was hoping for that clear beautiful light pink like one posted recently by a member here. This thing has a dirty pink tone, but then overall, it actually isn't bad.
For now, it's the pink tone that I don't like, along with some streaks, but luckily, the dorsal is mostly just white. hopefully the petals will straighten out in the next few days. also, there is a second bud, so who knows?

This is only two growths plant. I have another plant from the same batch, and that one has four growths. never flowered yet.
I think mine will get to that 20 something growths in just a few years.
I would really hate to deal with the repotting and all.
So, I have to decide to either switch them to growstone, which I'm trying to learn more about, or keep on using the organic mix in case I wanted to divide the plant. Dividing the plant will be much easier with organic mix.
can't even imagine how messy it will be with things like growstone. hairy brown roots firmly attach on growstone will make it nearly impossible to untangle without causing some serious root injury and thus considerable set back on the plant.

I know him. When the next blooming is mediocre he will justify getting rid of it because it is getting too big. I should just start hanging around his building in a few months so that I can salvage the plant from his waste disposal

It's funny how slow it takes for this thing to open up when it only took less than a month to go from low sheath to fully blown bud.

I will post a picture once it opens up some more, but it is more like white sky, not pink sky. :p

Above average quality I'd say. only if those petals straighten out.

I cannot believe I have not heard of or seen this cross before. Perhaps not readily available in Canada? Either way I do hope to see pics of your blooms -colour streaked or not!

I guess it is not as well known as Delrosi, but they all basically look the same and behave the same.

The first flower on my plant is open, but I'm waiting until the second bud opens up before posting a photo.
I think I've never seen it so pale like mine.

I was really hoping for nice pink one. Oh, well. It looks like the second growth is developing a spike as well. and I have two more of this hybrid that are yet to flower.
So, there's still hope for a nice pink flower!

Stay tuned! ;)

I cannot believe I have not heard of or seen this cross before. Perhaps not readily available in Canada? Either way I do hope to see pics of your blooms -colour streaked or not!

Latest posts

Back