Phragmipedium unknown x besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
phrag1.jpg

Got this with the tag 'longifolium x besseae'. I'm pretty sure it isn't. Any guesses?

Young plant, first flowering. Still opening.

Last edited:
doesn't look like a Hanne Popow to me, this one shows no hint of schlimii.
Do you like it? That's what matters most!

I bought this plant last year as longifolium x besseae with four leaves, now it has 9 leaves and a strong new growth, the leaves are near to 50 cm long. The plant indeed looked like the vigorous longifolium, until a thin and greenish flower spike appeared. The spike is reddish-brown now, pubescent with colourless hairs.
The pouch is pubescent, like in i.e. Mem. Dick Clements, which flowered in May. Besseae is pubescent, too. No scent so far.

I have never seen Phragm. Hanne Popow with this colour. The flower looks tiny, but it has 8cm NS. It 'closed' last night, and it seems it is still growing and 'flapping' to its final form and stance. I'll try to make a new photograph then.

phragunconn.jpg

From this afternoon. Still too much brightness to make good photographs with a little camera, sorry.

Do I like it? Thats a good question. I like to get what a paid for. But I know how easy it is to loose a tag, to mislabel a plant, to think in one word, lets say 'lindleyanum' and write down 'lindenii', and more so if you are writing thirty, forty labels,... Been there. If it turns out to be 'Andean Fire', than I own two plants that are as similar as they can be, so that I'll be the only one at home to distinguish them. It would have been nice to have a Eric Young; but certainly this plant looks prettier than some Eric Youngs out there. I'm not going to complain, of course, but it would be nice to have a name and it would be nice to have something different. I'm new to Phrags, but they like me and I like them. Some cross like Inca Ember or similar, would be fine, or some of the gorgeous dalessandro x longifolium out there.... You see, I'm dreaming. Or maybe it's just the heat...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Last edited:
Well you can be prety sure it's not an Eric Young, more likely Mem. Dick Clements or Andean Fire. BTW, do you get dalessandroi hybrids there?

If you mean, where I live: no!! Here we get freckled Phalaenopsis, peloric noids, and such stuff florists sell. All things that are interesting for orchidolics we have to order from the big continental nurseries (french, german, dutch). Phrags are kind of avis rara; even the big nurseries only have a few of them. For real good ones you must go to UK. And yes, they have dalessandroi-hybrids.

If you send me your Mail I can send you then peruflora list they will come in 4 weeks to Europe and will send parcel out.

If you send me your Mail I can send you then peruflora list they will come in 4 weeks to Europe and will send parcel out.

Manolo Arias sells very good plants and he is very honest in business.
Some of the peruflora´s plants are 3-4 times the size you would spect for the price. Highly recommended...
He has some interesting crosses involving besseae var dalessandroi.

Phragmipedium Andean Fire

andean.jpg

It is, confirmed, lindleyanum x besseae. 6,2 x 8,4 cm; no scent.

Back