Phragmipedium Sorcerer's Apprentice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

rudy.maex

Reaction score
This Phragmipedium is a hybrid between longifolium and sargentianum.
It's growing a bit out of control though and has become by far the biggest phragmipedium in my (small) collection.
Two years ago, it had 4 blooming stems, last year none. This year it is starting with one.
I probably should repot it but don't quite know how to tackle this due to the unwieldy size.

Attachments

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
My Sorcerer's Apprentice originated as a division from Hadley Cash's plant that was easily 5x that size. In the time I've had it, I usually let it get to about 8-10 mature growths before dividing it, and that involves a strong sharp knife and rubber mallet to drive it into the root mass, which is in S/H culture.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
I have a smaller version (smaller, not small) that was awarded mostly because of the plant size. :) They are rewarding plants though, I have had them stay in bloom continuously unless it gets too hot, then they take a little break and just start up again when it is cooler.

monocotman

Reaction score
I avoid the primary crosses with longifolium for this reason. I don’t have the room for these monsters!
well grown and spectacular!
David

KeysGuy

Reaction score
Nicely done!
Mine is probably 5X that size and really overdue for a visit to the chop shop but it is such a vigorous, free-flowering cross, I hate to do it.
I think mine would be in bloom year round if I let it but I also think if I did I wouldn't get the number of spikes I do.
This was a "so-so" year as there were only 4 spikes but I've had as many as 8.
Enjoy!

awesomei

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
My S.A. is a nice size pant, not huge. I won an AM with it last year. It is a very reliable bloomer. It now has 6 flowers on 2 spikes.

Latest posts