Phragmipedium Sorcerer's Apprentice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy.maex

Reaction score
This Phragmipedium is a hybrid between longifolium and sargentianum.
It's growing a bit out of control though and has become by far the biggest phragmipedium in my (small) collection.
Two years ago, it had 4 blooming stems, last year none. This year it is starting with one.
I probably should repot it but don't quite know how to tackle this due to the unwieldy size.

Attachments

• P1010963.JPG
    P1010963.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010962.JPG
    P1010962.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010964.JPG
    P1010964.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 29
My Sorcerer's Apprentice originated as a division from Hadley Cash's plant that was easily 5x that size. In the time I've had it, I usually let it get to about 8-10 mature growths before dividing it, and that involves a strong sharp knife and rubber mallet to drive it into the root mass, which is in S/H culture.

I have a smaller version (smaller, not small) that was awarded mostly because of the plant size. :) They are rewarding plants though, I have had them stay in bloom continuously unless it gets too hot, then they take a little break and just start up again when it is cooler.

Nicely done!
Mine is probably 5X that size and really overdue for a visit to the chop shop but it is such a vigorous, free-flowering cross, I hate to do it.
I think mine would be in bloom year round if I let it but I also think if I did I wouldn't get the number of spikes I do.
This was a "so-so" year as there were only 4 spikes but I've had as many as 8.
Enjoy!

My S.A. is a nice size pant, not huge. I won an AM with it last year. It is a very reliable bloomer. It now has 6 flowers on 2 spikes.

Latest posts

Back