Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I am searching for a good pod plant, since I think my kovachii is somewhat to small for being a mother!

You can always try to self it. It seems to be an excellent clone. If it dies or regress at least you'll know that you were right thinking that the plant wasn't mature enough... :D

I was thinking about besseae 'Carlisle' but the plant is not very large too.

Yawn..

I think I will use pollen on Cahaba Phyllis Bailey. What do you think?

Already been made... ;)

Well... Maybe I should cross it with a Jason Fischer?

Yawn...

Or maybe I will keep the pollen at the fridge and wait...

Good idea! At least until the expo in March. Maybe you'll find someone with something you'd be interested to use it with. :)

But you can always try to use the pollen on various blooming plants you have even the "3N" ..I'm thinking about that fabulous yellow Saint Ouen, ... That would be awesome if it would take.

Gorgeous flower and great photos!

How many growths did the plant have when you received it, and was it hard to establish? I've been thinking of ordering one from Ecuagenera for a while but I'm not sure if I should go for it. Your beautiful photos certainly made me curious to get one again, though!

I don't know how many growths the one she got was, but Ecua had a great bunch of plants when I was in Montreal. The Pk I bought went to someone in Canada.

I have a Seymour tower whose second bud will soon open. I looked it up and didn't see that registered yet. It's near cousin moriza rolando has been made and is nice. (Also a pearcei in bud; never seen phrag Peter Croezen for sale)

That said, I don't have any particular desire to be responsible for the pod of someone else, just an option and I think it might be good to have more kovachii or just to hold the pollen for something interesting.
Also, though a cross may already have been made, often people become interested in older hybrids and they are no longer available. It's often nice to have very nice older hybrids remade so people can grow them. So, don't let a 'yawn' deter you from remaking something if it interests you! :D

I have a Seymour tower whose second bud will soon open. I looked it up and didn't see that registered yet. It's near cousin moriza rolando has been made and is nice. (Also a pearcei in bud; never seen phrag Peter Croezen for sale)

That said, I don't have any particular desire to be responsible for the pod of someone else, just an option and I think it might be good to have more kovachii or just to hold the pollen for something interesting.
Also, though a cross may already have been made, often people become interested in older hybrids and they are no longer available. It's often nice to have very nice older hybrids remade so people can grow them. So, don't let a 'yawn' deter you from remaking something if it interests you! :D

Hey!! :poke:
lol :p
By the way, if you're interested in a Phag. Peter Croezen, the grex is available at Piping Rock Orchids. :)

Hey! :mad:

:poke:

lol. Don't get me wrong, the besseae 'Carlisle' is one of the best I've seen and it would probably make some superior Fritz Schomburg. But, would it be your first choice if you had pollen of kovachii?

Personally, I'd like to see it crossed with a klotzscheanum ..I have weird tastes ;)

Hey!! :poke:
lol :p
By the way, if you're interested in a Phag. Peter Croezen, the grex is available at Piping Rock Orchids. :)

Personally, I'd like to see it crossed with a klotzscheanum ..I have weird tastes ;)

Thanks, I just asked him (glen) to hold a different hybrid for me. After I typed that, I recalled having seen it in one other place while doing other plant searches.... Lots of plants there I'd like to get :)

I know where there's a klotzs in bud, but if it's available I might self it to make more

Gorgeous flower and great photos!

How many growths did the plant have when you received it, and was it hard to establish? I've been thinking of ordering one from Ecuagenera for a while but I'm not sure if I should go for it. Your beautiful photos certainly made me curious to get one again, though!

I think it had one previously bloomed fan and a new one just beginning to grow (the one whose in bloom now). It has been very easy to establish. In fact I didn't think it could bloom so quickly!

I think besseae x kovachii must be remake and I am pretty sure I will try to make it someday with besseae 'Carlisle'. Silvan wil survive I think :poke:
:):)

I don't know how many growths the one she got was, but Ecua had a great bunch of plants when I was in Montreal. The Pk I bought went to someone in Canada.

I think it had one previously bloomed fan and a new one just beginning to grow (the one whose in bloom now). It has been very easy to establish. In fact I didn't think it could bloom so quickly!

Thanks, that sounds great. I think I'll order one from them sometime this year. Congrats on blooming this beauty so quickly!

Back