Phragmipedium Eric Young

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful, vibrant colors! Would be great to see an update once the other buds open.

Are you sure this isn't a dalessandroi cross? :eek:

Hi Eric. No reason to believe that it is anything else but Eric Young. It came directly ( through a friend ) from the EYF a couple of years ago. If my memory serves me correctly they did say it was from a 4N longifolium if that makes any difference?

Ed

I would think it is a Nichole Tower too... Very nice branching on that one!
Before the recognition of the dallessandroï the EYF did sold many crosses under the name of besseae X

I saw this thread earlier, you guys beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. With all those branches it screms dalessandroi. Especially if its from the EricYoung Foundation. Very nice plant. I love the color. Its a keeper. Please post more when they are open.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look into this further-maybe I am wrong and you are right. Somhow I hope that it is Nicole Tower.
Ed

I find that branching in besseae and hybrids is very dependent on culture. Perhaps, rather than being a del. hybrid, this is simply a very well grown plant.

The pics I have found and the odd watercolour have only shown dalessandroi with one bloom at a time. This plant had all five blooms out at the same time last year--does this make any difference to its identity?

Ed

The pics I have found and the odd watercolour have only shown dalessandroi with one bloom at a time. This plant had all five blooms out at the same time last year--does this make any difference to its identity?

Ed

It does not make any difference. First there are alot of badly shaped besseae that are said to be dalessandroi because they have down swept petals. There has also been hybridizing between the two species and natural variation in between. I have a few dalessandroi, one didn't branch till its third bloom cycle. One branched with five branches on a first bloom. It depends on the individual. I have seen them at Quintal farms with two spikes and about twenty flowers on one plant. When you see a real one well grown you won't forget it. I have never seen besseae branch to that extent. The branching of dalessandroi is usually expressed in its hybrids and even more in a well grown plant like yours.

I hope I'm not talking to bemused persons but look on page 22 on the phragmipedium pages -- didn't think for one minute I'd have to explain myself.LOL
Ed

Latest posts

Back