Best Flowerstore Find! - P. Eric Young

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Su

Reaction score
Some time ago, I went to visit a flowershop to buy something, and I found a Phragmipedium Eric Young on one of the shelves! I was pretty suprised, because it's not every day you see a phrag in such a place. Wondering if others have seen phrags or less common orchids in unexpected places.

1673387865997.png

Is the plant healthy? Did you save it and take it home? That sad flower looks really beat up. All I ever see is
Phals. at Lowes that have been around awhile...those mini things.

I saw huge multifloral paph hybrids at Whole Foods once. They didn’t have tags, but they had 4-5 flowers per stem. You see complex and maudiae paphs from time to time, but that’s the only time I’ve seen multis outside of an orchid nursery or show.

Is the plant healthy? Did you save it and take it home? That sad flower looks really beat up. All I ever see is
Phals. at Lowes that have been around awhile...those mini things.
I took it home! The plant was initially in pretty poor condition, with some mushy roots and two dying leaves. Now though, the plant is recovering, and is currently maturing a new growth and growing a new root! Luckily, the rest of the plants at the store seem to be in good setups and are quite healthy. Some are even large and green multigrowth plants pushing out 3-4 new growths!

When I spent 9 years in Florida up until 2018, orchids in stores were quite common. It was Florida after all!
Home Depot, Trader Joe's, and Lowes always had plants. Home Depot had the best selection or variety should I say. Small and medium Cattleyas, a few Vandas, several Oncidiums were around as well. Phalaenopsis were the most common orchid available but they were the most beat up due to the non orchid public just having to pick them up to look at them. Spikes and leaves were often damaged and broken.
Here in Michigan in Lowes it is Phalaenopsis, both standards and little minis. Very few however during the months of December through February. The weather is just to cold to transport them home. I have seen "the little bag babies", only once this past summer in Lowes, but those are rarely seen. Trader Joes up here carries Phalaenopsis mostly and Oncidiums during the nice weather.
But in a short period of time, I have 7 shoes coming up in rather ice cold weather. Grand Rapids in the end of January, Cleveland Ohio in early February, Lansing in late February, Akron in early March, Ann Arbor in mid March and the Michigan Show in early April. The last show with the best weather will be Strongville Ohio in late April.
If anyone needs more information just let me know. I will be judging at all 7.

I saw huge multifloral paph hybrids at Whole Foods once. They didn’t have tags, but they had 4-5 flowers per stem. You see complex and maudiae paphs from time to time, but that’s the only time I’ve seen multis outside of an orchid nursery or show.
When was this? Some years ago there was a huge group of flowering multis, tagless, on Craigslist. Huge plants in many cases, very low prices. I bought a couple, my recollection is they were $20 each. Would have been around 2010. Photos in the ads showed whole rooms of them. Maybe someone else remembers? Wondering if they made their way to WF?

When was this? Some years ago there was a huge group of flowering multis, tagless, on Craigslist. Huge plants in many cases, very low prices. I bought a couple, my recollection is they were $20 each. Would have been around 2010. Photos in the ads showed whole rooms of them. Maybe someone else remembers? Wondering if they made their way to WF?
Interesting, I only lived in that apartment near the Whole Foods from 2009-2010, so the timing works out, but it’s probably just a coincidence…

Back