Phrag Mem. Mariza Rolando

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, I’ve grown phrags in a variety of mixes over the years, organic and non organic. They do well in all of them, I’ve not noticed much difference. The main benefit for me is that the rockwool does not break down at all and is easy to use when repotting.
I’ve gone back to the grodan minicubes recently on the recommendation of Jason Fischer and who am I to argue with such a successful grower?
David

Yay bessesae hybrids! :p
One of the best I've seen, great color, shape, and substance, plus the foliage is beautiful.
@richgarrison - besides grow cubes you would need the "rain-mix" from Europe to feed them, plus he has very unique water; which seems to be perfect for Phrags.

Eric, the flowering growth is just 40cm(16 inches) across so there may be some improvement in future.
As far as I know, rain mix is pretty much the old MSU feed formulation although it has been tweaked a bit.
As far as ‘unique water’ is concerned, don’t you get rain in the US? That is all I use. I keep it in a series of connecting plastic barrels round the side of the house. The salt pen reading for it is about 20-30.

Eric, the flowering growth is just 40cm(16 inches) across so there may be some improvement in future.
As far as I know, rain mix is pretty much the old MSU feed formulation although it has been tweaked a bit.
As far as ‘unique water’ is concerned, don’t you get rain in the US? That is all I use. I keep it in a series of connecting plastic barrels round the side of the house. The salt pen reading for it is about 20-30.
Thanx guys :)
One of the super growers down in the northern virginia area (can't remember his name for the life of me) is growing in growdan cubes (and perlite) and turned me on to that idea a few years back... so i'm always looking for confirmation or alternate theories... haven't yet found a nay sayer or detractor... making me think that a transition from my hard to come by kiwi bark foundation might be a good strong experiment to start.
i am on RO water where the conductivity pen reads 2 or 3 microsiemens... using peters orchid RO occasionally flipping to mag trate or cal trate big feeding days measure 600 micro siemens with typical readings for everyday waterings @ 300 ish... flushing regularly with straight RO...

So here's another question for @monocotman ... have you tried or considered combining growdan with tray culture?

Rich, not exactly sure what you mean by tray culture but the plant pots sit in trays year round with a bit of water in the bottom.
If you mean growing the plants in seed trays as Fox Valley do to great effect with their besseaes, then it would be fun to try but I am an indoor grower with limited space. They would take up too much room.

Al Pickerel?
I live in northern Virginia. Curious who this is.
not Al... i always have trouble figuring this out. He always wears suspenders at the NCOS paph forum. That's where i know him from. Grows big specimen sized plants. Has been in the last 3 slipper culture forums.

Rich, not exactly sure what you mean by tray culture but the plant pots sit in trays year round with a bit of water in the bottom.
If you mean growing the plants in seed trays as Fox Valley do to great effect with their besseaes, then it would be fun to try but I am an indoor grower with limited space. They would take up too much room.

Yes it was that last thing i was pointing at... and yes Tom does have that technique mastered from what i saw... :)

not Al... i always have trouble figuring this out. He always wears suspenders at the NCOS paph forum. That's where i know him from. Grows big specimen sized plants. Has been in the last 3 slipper culture forums.

Oh, you mean Jeff Morris of Charlottesville Orchid Society (CHAOS). (I would consider Charlottesville to be central VA.)

Oh, you mean Jeff Morris of Charlottesville Orchid Society (CHAOS). (I would consider Charlottesville to be central VA.)
yup Jeff is the man... (and thanx for helping me remember i'm writing it down this time :) )

btw anything south of maryland is northern virginia :) (i'm in southeastern pa)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back