Phrag Mem. Mariza Rolando

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a bit of a tease as the bud is just opening but you can already see the potential.
E5572CF2-FF41-4F6D-B9AB-E4D3F1D583FB.jpeg This is a seedling from the EYOF via Ratcliffe’s. This is only its second flowering as it is such a bad climber that it has taken time for me to work out how it grow it. It now has lots of moss around the base. The cross is Hanne Popow x kovachii. The first time it flowered the final colour was a hot pink and the shape was pretty much perfect. I’ll post again at the weekend,
David

Looks like it's going to be stunning. I really need to improve my culture with Phrag's

F9F448F2-FA79-4160-9895-BD90FCD4A34E.jpeg Just now.
801C7C70-E14D-4070-8346-7396905EB93E.jpeg Two spikes this year and the plant is not yet fully mature. On the first flowering it was easily better than the two that the EYOF have had awarded with AM/RHS. This one is very round and the colour ends up a really hot pink.

wow! and the plant really looks awesome Can you provide us a little about your culture?... looks like some sphagnum on the top of pot (as you mentioned above)

Last edited:
Rich, it’s potted in grodan minicubes with a topping of moss for the new shoots and roots as it’s such a bad climber. It sits on a trolley in a west facing window most of the year with my other phrags. It receives rain water plus maybe half rate rain mix (TDS around 180) feed year round at every watering. In summer the phrags go outside for 3-4 months where they receive afternoon sun. They sit it trays of water year round so never go dry. I find these wet growing types easy to grow indoors under UK conditions. The plants are never subjected to the extremes of greenhouse growing ( temperature/sunlight) and so the foliage stays perfect, no dings and marks. Winter indoors varies between 13 and 18 degrees and summer is around 18-25 degrees, with occasional peaks into the low 30’s.
David

Great culture and very nice bloom! My Mariza Rolando should be blooming size but no sign of any spikes yet.

Rich, it’s potted in grodan minicubes with a topping of moss for the new shoots and roots as it’s such a bad climber. It sits on a trolley in a west facing window most of the year with my other phrags. It receives rain water plus maybe half rate rain mix (TDS around 180) feed year round at every watering. In summer the phrags go outside for 3-4 months where they receive afternoon sun. They sit it trays of water year round so never go dry. I find these wet growing types easy to grow indoors under UK conditions. The plants are never subjected to the extremes of greenhouse growing ( temperature/sunlight) and so the foliage stays perfect, no dings and marks. Winter indoors varies between 13 and 18 degrees and summer is around 18-25 degrees, with occasional peaks into the low 30’s.
David
Thanx... Your plants do look really good....
....lot's more to say ...but in summary ...i can see a bunch of growdan cubes in my future... My open bag is calling my name for the next repotting session... just not sure which batch of plants to try first... (ya i'm chicken, things are finally growing well for me in my highly inorganic mix- 40 % (river gravel, perlite), rest in kiwi bark, with a sprinkling of chopped up NZ sphagnum)

Latest posts

Back