Phrag lindleyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The first three buds blasted. With the help of this forum, I worked out this was due to excessively hot temperatures in my glasshouse (we have had the hottest January ever recorded here). So I put the plant in my house where the temperature never gets above 25oC and the fourth bud developed fine. This is the first time I have flowered this plant.

phrag%20lindleyanum%202019.jpg

phrag%20lindleyanum%202019%202.jpg

Thanks Angie. Yes, the backdrop is black velvet. Probably needs replacing as I have been using it for years. It is looking a bit tatty. :)

I only see a good solid black that does not reflect light, so the orchid can shine better. I'll have to look up more of your photos.

I really struggle with this, specie's any tips on growing it.

I only have a couple of Phrags, so I am not an experienced grower. I was given this plant by a friend. I have been growing it on a bottom bench. So it is growing in low light. I expect I should be growing it brighter. Initially, I was growing it in rather chunky bark. It seemed to struggle for a couple of years before eventually picking up. I wasn't aware that this species needs to be kept wet. I think once the mix broke down a bit the plant did much better. I subsequently repotted it in sphagnum moss and perlite. It seems to like this and flowered not that long after I repotted it.

This species must be pretty tough as it has survived a lot of mistreatment from me. My greenhouse gets way to hot for this species but it seems to survive it fine.

Great to hear mine was in rockwool didn't do well lost 90% to erwinia 2yrs ago. Then I potted it in medium fir bark and perlight and its growing but very slow have two mature growths now. So I might pot it in spring and, into sphag and bark.
Thanks

Great to hear mine was in rockwool didn't do well lost 90% to erwinia 2yrs ago. Then I potted it in medium fir bark and perlight and its growing but very slow have two mature growths now. So I might pot it in spring and, into sphag and bark.
Thanks

I did read this one was one of the water loving Phrags that likes to sit in a tray of water. So it may not like a coarse inorganic mix.

Latest posts

Back