Phrag. La Vingtaine - teaser photo.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,

I don't think we've had this cross posted here yet.
Parents are kovachii x Mem. Dick Clements.
The general view seems to be that is not one of the better kovachii crosses.
The plant originated from the Eric Young Orchid Foundation.
They released several plants to a couple of the professionals in the UK a couple of years ago.
A few were exhibited at shows but I don't think any have been awarded in the UK.
However if the plant comes from the EYOF, then the quality of the MDC parent should be excellent.
This plant tried to flower last year but the flower was deformed.
This year the new growth is bigger and so far bud development is normal.
If I remember correctly the flower tended towards kovachii's purple colour rather than MDC.
The single hairy bud looks like it is going to be pretty dark. There is even colour on the bud sheath.
I'll post more as it develops,
Regards,

David

PS Before NYEric asks, I'll post whole plant photos when the bud opens!

Attachments

• la vingtaine.jpg
    la vingtaine.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 37
As far as I know it hasn't been shown in the US, maybe H.P. Norton but I don't think so. Did you get it from EYOF or a vendor? Keep us posted.

I bought it from a vendor as 'near flowering size'.
Seems to be pretty straightforward to grow.
I have found a couple of photos on line.
It looks pretty much as you'd expect.
David

it's opening!

Hi,
first day of opening - the colour of the photo isn't quite right. The photo was taken in the evening sun.
It is deeper and darker with more 'purple' in it, but you get the general idea. My camera over emphasises the red part of the spectrum.
It is pretty much an intermediate colour between the purple of the species and the red of the hybrid.
As a product of the EYOF, it is possible that a 4n MDC was used as a parent so that may also have had an effect.
I'll post again as the flower matures and even include a whole plant shot, but this won't be pretty as the old growth is in the process of dying and turning yellow (the current growth is very healthy),
Regards,
David

Attachments

• la vingtaine.jpg
    la vingtaine.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
Looks like that one's going to be gorgeous. I have a La Vingtaine and am a lot more excited about getting it to bloom now. The only other one I saw was not that good but this one's a real beauty!

e-spice

Back