Phrag. Fritz Schomburg

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice flowers, both are interesting and what a surprising variation for a primary hybrid... ???

I totally agree; usually your F1 generation of a primary hybrid will be intermediate between both parents, and most seedlings will look pretty similar, with not too much variation from plant to plant. Now if you sib two of these plants (to create your F2 generation) you do expect segregation of characteristics, and some plants will resemble more one of the original species, as other plants will resemble more the other species. It is unusual that you already see this segregation in the F1 generation.

Robert

Wasn't the pink one from using besseae flavum as the parent? Hence the different form also.

Wasn't the pink one from using besseae flavum as the parent? Hence the different form also.

Actually both were made using a yellow besseae. The picture of the first one is actually a little "redder" than it should be. In true life it is more pink in color, but still not as pink as the picture of the second one.

Robert

I totally agree; usually your F1 generation of a primary hybrid will be intermediate between both parents, and most seedlings will look pretty similar, with not too much variation from plant to plant. Now if you sib two of these plants (to create your F2 generation) you do expect segregation of characteristics, and some plants will resemble more one of the original species, as other plants will resemble more the other species. It is unusual that you already see this segregation in the F1 generation.

Robert

This is very interesting I do agree too... What to expect next! I can't wait to use it and see the progeny...

I just found out that the different seedlings are actually from different crosses (my mistake) the more coral (reddish) one that looks more like a besseae (First Picture) was made with a regular besseae, while the second picture (more pinkish one) was made with a flavum besseae. This explains the difference between the two.

Robert

I love both of them!!
lv26.gif

LG Claudia

:clap: WELCOME Claudia! :clap: What a cute emoticon! Tell us about yourself!

Yes, very nice both of them!!! What size are the flowers? Do you have any flower pics as example of those that Jerry is going to bring along to Europe? Jean

Latest posts

Back