Phrag. Fox Valley Fireball

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shiva,

Tried several different crosses using three different Fox Valley Fireball clones -both as pollen parents and capsule parents with micropetallum species and hybrids - but no luck. Since both parents are diploids, I expect breeding on is going to be difficult.

I did, however, receive a report from the lab last week that showed positive (but low) germination for a Phrag. (Rosalie Dixler `Fox Valley' AM/AOS x fischeri `DRL'), a hybrid that I made last year. Not sure what the elimination of Phrag. kaieteurum from the gene pool will do to the eventual color; probably dilute it.

Thanks,

Forgot to mention - we also used the original Phrag. Rosalie Dixler `Fox Valley AM/AOS clone as a capsule parent to make the as yet unregistered cross Phrag. (Rosalie Dixler `Fox Valley' AM/AOS x caudatum v Sanderae). Colors will range from pink to dark red, and the first to bloom is pictured on the website - a really nice, rich red. NBS seedlings are available for $ 35 +s/h for those who may not be aware.

Ernie,

Now that you mention it, we didget one awarded on January 14, 2006, at the Semi-Annual Chicago JC business meeting in Glencoe. I'm looking at the judging entry form signed by the team leader Sue Golan, and will be contacting the AOS to find out why it was never published. Sometimes, these things fall through the cracks until someone mentions it. The clonal name was 'Cinnamon Fire' and it received an AM/AOS of 80 pts. Horizontal natutral spreadf was 10.0 cm and the petals were 2.5 cm wide. The color was described as "pubescent , rich carmine". I'll upload a photo as soon as I can find someone to scan it.

Thanks,

Very nice! I remember seeing this one on a list that our club was ordering from a while back, but I think there was a problem with getting papers. I hope we get another chance, or maybe someone in Canada can re-make this cross! I don't know a lot of hybrids using Rosalie Dixler, which is one of my favourites!

Thanks Everyone,

Here's the photo of Phrag. Fox Valley Fireball `Cinnanom Fire' AM/AOS that I promised. Also sent an email to AOS to find out why it was never published.

Last edited:
Would those of you who have bloomed this one be able to send pics to PhragWeb? There are no photos of this one there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fantastic!! :drool:

This one has been on my wishlist forever!! Hard to get one here in the great white north.

IMG_9155.JPG

Latest posts

Back