Phrag. Fox Valley Fireball

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-spice

Reaction score
A first blooming of Tom Kalina's excellent hybrid Fox Valley Fireball (Barbara Le Ann `Select' x Rosalie Dixler 'Fox Valley' AM/AOS). I really, really love it. The Fox Valley Orchids website says "Arguably one of the best dark red Phrag. besseae hybrids available today". I definitely agree with that statement. As a bonus, my experience is that it's more vigorous than Jason Fischer. Great job Tom!

e-spice

IMG_9045.JPG

Perfect, beautiful and famous. A must have for a phrag lover. :drool::drool::drool:

I sorta remember awarding one of Tom's first blooms from this grex in Chicago a couple years back. Or it least it was on the judging table. This one is better according to my (sometimes poor) memory. Sorry Tom. Super nice!

Thanks e-spice,

While there has been some variation of shape and color saturation seen in Phrag. Fox Valley Fireball flowers (see photo of our 'Wings of Fire' clone), the over-all flower quality in the plants bloomed to date has been above average. I would encourage you to submit yours for judging if possible, as it certainly appears to have some awardable attributes.

Personally, I think the secret behind the success of the cross is the red-purple Rosalie Dixler `Fox Valley' AM/AOS used as the pollen parent. Those of you who have either OrchidWiz or the AOS AQ+ software, can see the awards photo of the RD that we used - it's as close to true blood-red as we've seen.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I sorta remember awarding one of Tom's first blooms from this grex in Chicago a couple years back. Or it least it was on the judging table. This one is better according to my (sometimes poor) memory. Sorry Tom. Super nice!

According to the latest version of OrchidWiz, this grex has never received an award. If I was the owner of the plant in this post, I would certainly have it judged. :clap:

Thanks e-spice,

Personally, I think the secret behind the success of the cross is the red-purple Rosalie Dixler `Fox Valley' AM/AOS used as the pollen parent. Those of you who have either OrchidWiz or the AOS AQ+ software, can see the awards photo of the RD that we used - it's as close to true blood-red as we've seen.

Thanks,

Tom! That's one hell of a good looking RD. I also see on OrchidWiz that no Fireball offspring has been registered. Have you crossed it with anything yet? :drool:

Latest posts

Back