Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Growing in a shallow, 12" wide, decorative glass dish with a fern and sheet moss on top. A hole was drilled in the bottom for drainage. Plus, a 2" net pot was siliconed over the hole, inside the dish, to ensure excellent drainage and give the potting mix and root mass something to hold onto if the dish is ever tipped.
9291.jpg

Last edited:
Neat way to grow a besseae. Very well grown, and well presented with the fern. What is it pottted in? Since there is a drainage hole, do you water very often, or is it sitting in water?

Thanks very much everybody!

beautiful display and great bloom!!!! Could you explain somewhat for this 'net pot' !?:) Thanks! Jean

I use net pots to help drainage in any container that has only one drainage hole, such as a clay pot or the glass dish that the besseae is planted in. Here's a photo to illustrate.

100_8803-2netpots.jpg

The small ones are 2 1/4" pots and the large one is 6". I use the 6" net pots as a shade cover over top of newly deflaksed seedlings. It cuts the light by about 50% and reduces the air flow over the tender seedlings.

Neat way to grow a besseae. Very well grown, and well presented with the fern. What is it pottted in? Since there is a drainage hole, do you water very often, or is it sitting in water?

I just used my normal mix, which is coconut husk chips and shreaded foam chips. It is not sitting in water. I mist the leaves and moss on top about 4 times a week and it gets a thorough drenching about once a week. That will increast to 2 or 3 times a week by next summer.

Thanks. Pretty cool idea. Maybe I'll try it. It should work for most other Phrags too, I would think.

Clever ideas, John.

Are you concerned that the fern's roots will eventually draw water & nutrients away from the Phrag? And take over the pot?

Clever ideas, John.

Are you concerned that the fern's roots will eventually draw water & nutrients away from the Phrag? And take over the pot?

No, not really. As the fern grows, I will defoliate it now and then to keep just a few leaves for the artistic/accent effect. By doing this, the fern won't be able to "take off" and overgrow the pot.

I use net pots to help drainage in any container that has only one drainage hole, such as a clay pot or the glass dish that the besseae is planted in. Here's a photo to illustrate.
The small ones are 2 1/4" pots and the large one is 6". I use the 6" net pots as a shade cover over top of newly deflaksed seedlings. It cuts the light by about 50% and reduces the air flow over the tender seedlings.

thanks John!!! I see what you mean with 'net pot' now! I have quite some of my plants (esp. catts +co) growing in the large ones :) ! Jean

My wife and I love your display.
Thanks for showing the multiple uses of net pots.

Back