Moss Coming Back to Life

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
On some of the pots, I see green moss growing.
I love this sight! :)

I'm posting two examples.

The first one has regular fir bark, perlite, charcoal in the pot. I top dressed with sheet moss. I don't know what kind of moss it is exactly, but it is like a thin blanket of moss that has been treated with artificial green color.
With watering, the green color quickly washes off (it is not meant to be washed off but only for decoration, although I use it as a top dress), and turn ugly brown.

I mist the top of the pot almost everyday and some pots show green live moss coming back like on this one.

The plant is supposedly Paphiopedilum Wenshanense clear yellow form, and it is in bud finally!

ASFyYlul.jpg

This second one is Paphiopedilum Delrosi (made with dunkel delenatii).
The mix is orchiata only, with clay balls at the very bottom. Top dressed with sphagnum moss. Obviously, the sphagnum moss is coming back to life all over inside the pot and in the last photo, you can see them sticking out to the top.

I wonder moss actually does provide any benefits to the plant?
I know it has been discussed, but I don't understand the details behind it really, if there is any benefits at all, that is.

I do feed these plants on random basis with very diluted (about half to quarter of what's recommended on the label) liquid fertilizer.

6Yd29K6l.jpg

c2mSxRvl.jpg

Moss seems to really help the overall vigor of the slippers and phrag's. Not sure the reasoning but I do notice in my two small kovachii seedlings the healthiest roots are just like yours in these photos and they reside right in the moss layer. It could be what Eric said but seems like something more??

Live Sphagnum moss species have varying degrees of anti microbial and anti fungal properties in addition to retaining all the nutrients that pass through. Live sphagnum won't do well with too much nutrients in the water as that will kill it. On the bright side if your plants are growing sphagnum it means you have really good quality water (and can grow many carnivorous plants as they grow in or near sphagnum in the wild)

I'll try to remember to post a picture of one of my sarracenia seedling trays that just exploded with sphagnum growth recently

I really enjoy seeing those live white tips of the roots. Good growing. Congrats

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Well, all my Delrosi grow like cabbage that never flowers. lol
The roots are all over the pot and the top growths are equally great.
I want to see some flowers on these!!! :mad:

I'll try to remember to post a picture of one of my sarracenia seedling trays that just exploded with sphagnum growth recently

Sarracenia leucophylla is my love!!! but they need cold winter which I can't provide properly.

I buy them as fresh cut flower whenever I see them offered. not so common.

Sarracenia leucophylla is my love!!! but they need cold winter which I can't provide properly.

I buy them as fresh cut flower whenever I see them offered. not so common.
They don't need a cold winter so much as a change in light levels, at least that's what my leucophylla and those of many others here in Miami seem to say
If you're ever looking to try your hand at them, read up a bit, they're easier than orchids but you still need to know some things haha
Many TC hybrids are really easy and beautiful like S. Daina's Delight and a perfect way to start

(Also if you like leucophylla look up a Hurricane Creek white clone F)

Managed to remember to snap some pics from this little tray

13ce557c2bd5cfb79576aeea88f8b020.jpg

This tray is actually a mix for Sarracenia and some Drosera intermedia that are going dormant (and the stay D. capensis)

15e3b0273edd495124d35700e63b9481.jpg

This tray had no signs of moss up until two or three weeks ago

ab51497c7da3fef522044d9fc8ad72f3.jpg

c01e3deac4eaf1440046331459e3aaa0.jpg

And this is from one of my Nepenthes' pot, I think this Sphagnum would prefer to be more moist, in more light, and would prefer higher humidity, I may move some pieces outside with the Sarracenia, with more light, it'll be red.

ec30974ef523fc46028d3ec3b858c081.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for the quality
Edit: I added some slightly higher quality pictures

Last edited:
Great!
Clear photos to see all the details, but how about post these under other hobby section and continue on there?

Are these encased??

Could be the same bryophyte species growing in the 2 pots... but this is not Sphagnum sp for sure :poke:
The second picture looks like sphagnum to me, it looks different when it's in high humidity and low light

Latest posts

Back