Phrag. besseae 'Fox Valley' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leo Schordje;338108 4.) Keep a segregated said:
Very interesting info Leo.
I have such a place for suspected virused plants or even a sickly plant. It's called a trash can. Better be safe than sorry as the saying goes. :)

I don't know how I could have missed this thread Tom. This is one very beautiful besseae.

If you use the suspected virused plant as the capsule parent, and then allow the seed capsules to mature to dry seed, sowing the seed only after it is dry - the seed will be free of virus.

Very interesting. Thanks for you comments!:):)

Can you explain why the seeds will be free of virus after drying or the seed pod? If virus are destroyed with dryness, why should we always clean carefully and sterilized blades, cutting tools, pots?

The virus isn't killed by drying. The seed is virus free because the virus particles are unable to cross from the mother plant into the developing seed embryos, much like the way a human baby developing in an HIV possitive mother does not get the virus from it's mother's blood supply. The mother and baby have separate blood supplies, kept separated by the placenta, which does not allow the virus to cross into the baby. However, at birth, if things get messy, some of the mother's blood can infect the baby. With seeds, if a green pod sowing is done, then as the knife cuts through the green outer tissue of the capsule the virus can be introduced into the partially developed seeds inside, causing them to become infected too. However, if the capsule is allowed to ripen naturally and dry, the barrier between the seed embryos and the mother plant's tissues keeps it's integrity right up to when the seeds become independent of the mother plant and the virus does not have a chance to pass into the seeds.

I feel like this might be a good addition to this thread for future reference. This is the same bloom as seen in the first post.

IMG_6457.jpg

Latest posts

Back