Phrag. besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In bloom this morning in a cloudy greenhouse, this has become our absolute favorite Phrag. besseae clone. IMHO it is a higher quality flower than virtually any other I've seen (including our own awarded clones). As a plus, it grows like a weed and is fertile as well. Horizontal natural spread = 8.6cm, Petal width = 3.0cm.

Attachments

• Phrag. besseae `Carlisle`- 1-3-20.JPG
    Phrag. besseae `Carlisle`- 1-3-20.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 67
PbCtray.JPG Yes, this was the first Phrag. besseae we put into a tray as an experiment 18 months ago. I've attached a photo (sorry for the quality) of the plant taken this morning. We severed the rhizome on the oldest growth (which is left of the one farthest right) in June, 2019 and the new growth has a leaf span of 12 inches. The oldest growth has a leaf span of 30 inches. This clone gets to be an absolute horse when it's grown in a tray. (See photo).

That's a dazzler Tom. I'd love to have a large
division when you have one available...and the
damn weather improves for shipping. My record
with besseae isn't outstanding, but I'm learning.
The RO from Ray is wonderful!

That's a dazzler Tom. I'd love to have a large
division when you have one available...and the
damn weather improves for shipping. My record
with besseae isn't outstanding, but I'm learning.
The RO from Ray is wonderful!
PM sent. I'm sure your R/O will result in improved growth for all your Phrags. including besseae.

I see the self cross is available. Anything coming down the pike with this as a parent? Maybe Jason Fisher with this ad a pod parent?
Hi Linus,
We do have Phrag. besseae 'Carlisle' (x self) seedlings available on the website and a couple of compots of (x 'Foxfire' AM/AOS) and (x 'Fox Valley' FCC/AOS) in the pipeline as well as Phrag. Vita-Bess (x vittatum). We also have flasks going in the lab of a remake of Rosalie Dixler (x kaieteurum) and a remake of Robert-Jan Quene' (x Fritz Schomburg) using the 'Carlisle' clone.

Last edited:
We've air layered it a couple of times in the last year and plan to divide and re-tray the divisions later this spring. It's something that should have been done last year, but the plant was carrying several different seed capsules and we didn't want to disturb it.

Latest posts

Back