Phrag. besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of our favorites in bloom in a sunny greenhouse this morning. HNS = 7.8cm PW = 2.6cm. We grow our Phrag. besseae breeding plants in 10 x 20 trays with bottom drainage and get really good plant growth. The only down-side is the trays take up a lot of bench space!

Last edited:
Great flower. Thanks for posting. How often do you need to clean the trays?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We've never submitted it for AOS judging, but if it's still in bloom for the OGG show in Madison, WI in early February, we may try to wrestle the tray up there.
At one point, the AOS was thinking about allowing AOS judging teams from the local judging center to visit growers to judge plants in situ so to speak, but I don't think this idea ever left the ground.

Last edited:
Jason,

The trays aren't cleaned until the plants are divided, and then the only thing we do is rinse them out to remove bits of bark and moss to make sure the drainage slots are open. We don't sterilize them.

The roots are long and run rampant by the time the plant is divided. Much longer than our besseaes grown in pots. The added root mass allows greater absorption of nutrients and the plant gets very large. Just measured an old growth on this clone and it had a 29 inch leaf span.

Last edited:
The roots are long and run rampant by the time the plant is divided. Much longer than our besseaes grown in pots. The added root mass allows greater absorption of nutrients and the plant gets very large. Just measured an old growth on this clone and it had a 29 inch leaf span.
Tom I see you use large pots for Phrag. What is the reason and the medium used? Is it acid or basic?

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

Excelent flower and healthy plant.

Tom I see you use large pots for Phrag. What is the reason and the medium used? Is it acid or basic?

We only use the 10 x 20 trays for our breeding plants, but if we had the bench space, I think we would grow most of our Phrags that way given the success we've had with the besseae's. In cases where we grow Phrags in pots, we use pots just large enough to contain the root mass of the individual plant.

As far as our Phrag. medium, we've used the same formula for many years. It consists of:

8 parts seedling grade bark (1/8-1/4 inch particle size)
1 part #3 size charcoal approx (1/4-3/8 inch particle size)
1 part small perlite (approx 1/8 inch particle size)
1 part milled Canadian peat moss

For the long-petalled Phrag. species and hybrids, we replace the small perlite with Spong-Rok which has a larger particle size (approx 1/4-3/8 inch). For the Micropetallum species, we add a pinch of very fine dolomite lime to each pot. We don't use Orchiata because it just hasn't worked as well for us as our standard formula. Given the above formulation, I'd expect the mix to be acidic rather than basic, although we haven't done a pour-through pH.

Hope this helps. It works for us under our conditions, but that's not to say there aren't better formulas for particular circumstances. I've seen beautifully grown lady's slippers growing under what I would consider less than ideal conditions, so the plants are somewhat flexible. In the final analysis, what works for you, works for you.

Does the tray method prevent stoloniferous vertical growth?

It doesn't eliminate vertical stoloniferous growth, but I think it's less of a problem compared to growing in smaller containers. Some clones of Phrag. besseae seem to climb regardless of what you pot them in and others not so much. The closely related Phrag. d'alessandroi has shorter stolons with growths emerging closer to each other, so climbing isn't a problem; at least not in the clones we've seen.

We only use the 10 x 20 trays for our breeding plants, but if we had the bench space, I think we would grow most of our Phrags that way given the success we've had with the besseae's. In cases where we grow Phrags in pots, we use pots just large enough to contain the root mass of the individual plant.

As far as our Phrag. medium, we've used the same formula for many years. It consists of:

For the long-petalled Phrag. species and hybrids, we replace the small perlite with Spong-Rok which has a larger particle size (approx 1/4-3/8 inch). For the Micropetallum species, we add a pinch of very fine dolomite lime to each pot. We don't use Orchiata because it just hasn't worked as well for us as our standard formula. Given the above formulation, I'd expect the mix to be acidic rather than basic, although we haven't done a pour-through pH.

Hope this helps. It works for us under our conditions, but that's not to say there aren't better formulas for particular circumstances. I've seen beautifully grown lady's slippers growing under what I would consider less than ideal conditions, so the plants are somewhat flexible. In the final analysis, what works for you, works for you.
Thanks a lot Tom for your detailed info.

Tom could you post a picture of the tray with this plant? Tks.

Here's a photo of the plant growing in it's tray. Not sure if you can see it clearly enough to see the carpet of peat moss growing on the surface of the mix, but some have said the roots of the moss secrete amine compounds that are beneficial to the health of the plant.

Attachments

• IMG_2292-4.jpg
    IMG_2292-4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 28
Here's a photo of the plant growing in it's tray. Not sure if you can see it clearly enough to see the carpet of peat moss growing on the surface of the mix, but some have said the roots of the moss secrete amine compounds that are beneficial to the health of the plant.
Thanks a lot again. Interesting.

Tom, what is the depth of the tray? 10X20 are inches, right?

Enviado desde mi SM-T820 mediante Tapatalk

Back