Photo use

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently found some of my photos used on university websites (2 out of 3 in Australia), and when I contacted them, in every case it was a matter of a student using them, not a university employee. Being a huge supporter of education, I offered to let them continue to use them with credit now attached.

I don't think the ladies at Parkside would intentionally steal a photo. I'd bet someone assisting with the site took a shortcut.

I have recently found some of my photos used on university websites (2 out of 3 in Australia), and when I contacted them, in every case it was a matter of a student using them, not a university employee. Being a huge supporter of education, I offered to let them continue to use them with credit now attached.

I don't think the ladies at Parkside would intentionally steal a photo. I'd bet someone assisting with the site took a shortcut.

Good point Ray. This reminds me very much of the controversy surrounding Jane Goodall's book, "Seeds of Hope" where several "lifted" passages from various sources without proper citation caused her a PR nightmare last year.

For a brief overview, see this article in The Christian Science Monitor

I think we'll see more and more of this kind of problem even when the people involved had no bad intent. I wonder sometimes if the internet-raised generation even sees a problem with taking from the net - after all it is a resource at their disposal, so why not?

Oddly, I've had local organizations simply take whole articles off my site and republish them in newsletters without even one peep towards me. At the end of these they did put "source: botanyboy.org", but that's all. Hmm, not the way I would have handled it.

Now, as for idiots lifting entire articles to republish (a serious problem if you publish unique content on the net), or equally idiotic sellers of often times bogus products using your photos to make a sale (epidemic on any online auction), well, that's a whole other matter.

As a friend of mine used to say, there are two kinds of people in the world, givers and takers. In my mind ignorance isn't much of a defense.

I have actually been surprised a couple of times to have someone at the Orchid Digest send me an unsolicited email "Here's the proof copy", when about to publish something of mine.

I offer the free use of anything on my site for society newsletters, and ask that they 1) tell me they will be doing so (so I can correct old stupidity first, as needed, 2) give me credit, and 3) send me a copy of the publication.

I just discovered this evening that eBay seller cgmoody is using (without permission or credit) one of my photos of Phalaenopsis Tzu Chiang Balm to sell her hybrid plant in a listing titled, "Phal. Tzu Chiang Balm x Phal. Venus "Pink"-FRECKLED FOLIAGE-FRAGRANT"

Orchids-forever from ebay has used some forum members photos as well. I found out after my first order when I started watching their listings. The plant I ordered came with passengers as well.

My first order was also my last order.

I sent cgmoody a message via eBay's messaging system: "Thanks for using my photo of Tzu Chiang Balm without permission. Classy."

It will be interesting to see if they continue to use my photo or if they take it down.

I purchased from Orchids-forever once as well, Marco, and I got some passengers too.

I sent another message to cgmoody at ebay, and I emailed her at work as well, specifically requesting that she remove the photo in question from her auction listing. I informed her that I will report her to ebay's VeRO program if she fails to comply with my request.

Good luck, Mark! I have found that it takes ebay several days before they actually act on a report. By then, the auction is usually over. It is a real pain on many levels.

The seller has ended the auction early due to an "error in the listing" but I will be watching to see what she does in the future. She hasn't bothered to reply to my messages or apologize for what she did.

Taking images is all too easy and common in the internet era, but it only shows that they have no manners, especially if used in making money.

I think using images for non-profit use is fine, although making an effort to contact the owner for permission of use would be nice.

I have seen one eBayer using delenatii and magic lantern pictures posted here.
I have seen my picture ( not posted here) used on eBay.
It was someone in Greece if I remember correctly.
At first, the person won't admit but eventually admitted.

Then orchids.com ( Norman's orchid) were using my picture of Coelogyne hybrid.
I contacted them and ask for either discount on my purchase or take it off the website. They said no, but put my name in the picture the next day.
How stingy and not sorry! lol

Yes, I don't mind if someone takes one of my photos for personal use, but to publish and use it without permission to make a profit is definitely beyond rude.

I have had several images used by others. Recently, that's been centered primarily by university students in Australia, for some reason.

When I contact the U, I am sure to advise them that - as I'm a supporter of education - they may use them if credited properly, but I suspect the students are getting disciplined, as they usually disappear.

I have had several images used by others. Recently, that's been centered primarily by university students in Australia, for some reason.

When I contact the U, I am sure to advise them that - as I'm a supporter of education - they may use them if credited properly, but I suspect the students are getting disciplined, as they usually disappear.

As I recall Educational use of photos have always been exempt from copyright infringement.

In what context are they using them Ray? On educational websites?

I believe they were published research reports.

Nobody is making money on them, so I don't really care. Totally unlike the OP.

Is the internet any different than a paper publication for copyright?
I bet soon copyright laws will not apply to images posted on the internet.

I was just thinking that someone might lift a photo off the internet and use it in and educational presentation without a source or copyright included. Then someone could lift that photo from the presentation and not be responsible for the course. A lot easier than in the paper days.

I was just thinking that someone might lift a photo off the internet and use it in and educational presentation without a source or copyright included. Then someone could lift that photo from the presentation and not be responsible for the course. A lot easier than in the paper days.

I dont think educational use requires any copyright or photo credit be shown. If someone lifts the photo from the educational use and uses it for non educational use they would be responsible for infringement since they dont have the right of Fair Use.

In the paper days it was really not a big problem because to get any degree of quality required either a slide or negative and that usually meant the photographer had to provide the original. Digital photos and the internet basically ended the stock photography business and certainly devalued photographs.

Latest posts

Back