Phalaenopsis speciosa (blue)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
This is a mutation from clones of Phal speciosa 'C#1'. I kept this plant because instead of reddish color, this has bluish purple color.

Weather is cooler now - so this plant is flowering with less colored segments.

My experience is that Phal speciosa/tetraspis tends to have less color pigment when flowering in cooler temperature.

November 2011

speciosa_blue_20111105.JPG

compare to 2008
Phal_speciosa_front.JPG

I have a 'C#1' that has a white flower at the moment.

in breeding with c1 does the sectoring pattern continue to show up in offspring? is it as variable as it is in c1? i'd love to understand better the genetic control of this...i've never seen anything like it in any other group of plants.

Nick - my plant is not very big. Leaf span is about 8 inches. I put a seedpod on it whenever it is in flower. It has flower more every year since 2008 - usually twice a year - spring and fall. Because Phal speciosa 'C#1' is a clone - it will flower with leaf span at about 6 inches. I have seen well grown 'C#1' with leaf span at 20 inches.

I have also a C1 in bloom at this moment and I saw exact the same phenomenon. The cooler the weather, the fewer the coloured parts in the flower. Only the color of the lip stays always the same. For this moment a completely white flower is glinstering in my greenhouse... ;-)

Thanks for sharing... Beautiful and interesting plant. I have been trying to hold back, but I can see myself picking up a few Phal. species in the future.

Back