Phal fasciata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I started this Phal as an experiment in culture, a semi hydro and it seems to have worked.

DSCN1286.jpg

DSCN1291.jpg

Beautiful flower,really nice clear markings. Plus the "escaping" root is very nice toio! :)

This is a pretty one Roy. They can keiki like mad, and cover up a whole plac in short notice when they are happy.

Thanks for the good feedback folks, I didn't think the house would handle Phals because the conditions aren't suited in my experience. Its nice to have unexpected success. Might have to try a hybrid Phal to see what happens. As a question, the smaller colored Phals like Phal. Orchid World or similar handle the less Phal friendly conditions.

There is a section that covers semi-hydro in the forum that members have posted plants in. This is probably not the correct term for this plant, its more a semi, semi-hydro. The phal is potted in an 80mm pot in bark, volcanic rock and crushed quartz. The pot sits nicely into the top of the clear plastic disposable glass in the second pic. There are 2 holes, one each side about 25mm up from the base. I just sit the pot in the glass and water normally, the water in the glass provides humidity and the roots grow down to it and don't seem to rot, they love it.

Semi-hydro growing by many members including myself use the glass as I have it but the plant is potted directly into the glass using Hydroton (expanded clay balls) or similar.

:drool: That's a nice little phal!
I wish the mealies didn't like them so much.:(

Hello Roy,
I'm glad your fasciata is doing well. I received some info about how fasciatas like a 'different' type of cultural treatment than many other phals. I was told that they like more 'cattleya' type of conditions, where they like to be a fair amount brighter and to dry out between waterings unlike many other phals that would prefer to be wet or damp still between waterings. Was also told that this was called growing it 'harder' than most other phals. I lost a few fasciatas that were likely being kept too wet. I have two phals that like being in clear pots with the semi-hydro pellets but no water reservoir - phals fimbriata and floresensis; both like to get soaked but then dry off rather quickly

Charles, I think the advise you were given is close to correct. I tried growing this plant as for other Phals a you suggest and nearly lost it. With a few modifications I set my plant up as is from viewing a friends Phals growing in a similar way. I don't give it Cattleya light but it is fairly bright. I want to try a Phal like Orchid World or similar to see if it will grow as well for me. I don't have the constant heat levels thru winter for the big white Phals, prob get too much bud drop. I might try it with a cheap seedling plant to see if it will acclimatise.

Back