Parvi's and Brachy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi

So I have some of these and I have brought some new ones.
What I have at the mo

malipoense has finally woken up and is growing nicely.
delenatii album/vinicolour these are seedling and growing well I think
hangianum new but happy at the mo
micranthum new growths
armanicum new growths as well
Ho Chin Minh growing withnew growth coming

bellatulum taken a while but growing well.

Now I am awefull at growing brachy's bellatulum was an impulse buy so any help in not killing it

All the parvi's I can grow well just always had trouble flowering them.

How do others get there's to do so well, I'm growing with a min of 16C at nightnand then what ever the temps gets to each day no higher than 32C on the vary rare hot days we get in the uk.
Nearly all the parvi's are in the orginal mix which is mainly small bark perlight and perlag some looks like a bit of chopped sponge. The malipoense I in sphag, bark, per light and clay balls and has woken up for me and grow thing.
The bellatulum is in perlag and what looks like a chunky bark with maybe chopped peat.

I dont know if my night time temps will be to high to them to do well, I have been thinking of moving armenicum and micranthum in to baskets if I can find something suitable to my licking.

Any help would be great or if pic would help let me know, or any other info about my growing conditions.

I grow the stolonous Parvis in Vanda baskets. I don't have much room so the plastic ones are better for me because they have a smaller footprint and a relatively larger inside dimension. I've also found that the Brachys are more susceptible to crown rot so you have to keep a eye on them. In the winter I keep mine pretty dry, probably too dry actually. I grow them all in your standard medium bark, charcoal, sponge rock mix. My thoughts on medium is, it's more important to get the watering right than what you grow in. I grow under lights in the basement so 7 days without water and some of my plants are almost bone dry. I hope that is some help.
Don

Have any of them flowered yet?
You did mention your delenatii are seedlings.
My wild guess is that your other plants are to mature yet?
Your temperature range is good. Lower temperature for both night ( as cold as possible but not freezing) and day ( ideally just a bit warmer than the night temp) will benefit them ( especially armeniacum, micranthum & malipoense, and in this order as armeniacum are found in a small area of high altitude while the latter two have very wide distribution both altitude and land area ) for the winter time.

Your current temperature is great in winter for things like delenatii, hangianum, bellatulum, concolor although it can be a bit cooler or warmer.
Leucochilum ( godefroyae) needs warmth year around, as is with niveum.

I grow indoor and temperature is higher than they like, but I flowered everything you mentioned except for armeniacum.

I have two or three micranthum in sheath which I think is rather odd timing wise, and one armeniacum is sending up some thnk but can't tell what it is yet.
Others I have in bloom- Armeni White, Magic Lantern, niveum hybrids, wenshanense.
Those that are in spike- bellatulum, leucochilum, hang & emersonii hybrids, Fanaticum, malipoense, Fumi's Delight, Norito Hasegawa.

And many flowers from January into June- Hangianum hybrids, emersonii hybrids, brachys, parvis including micranthum and other parvi hybrids and hybrids involving parvi x non parvi like Delrosi, Pink Sky, Ma Belle,,,

If you grow parvis well, then brachy isn't any different.
Water them good in well draining mix, and don't leave them dry too long.
Basically like many other plants. ;)

Also, once they flower once or twice, they can really pick up growing power.
Some very vigorous ones might form clump before first flowering but I believe this is not common.
Then on the other end of the spectrum, some may never make more than a single growth let alone forming a clump.

Things like armeniacum & micranthum ( and hybrids involving these species) which throw runners tend to be vigorous growers easily turning into a clump in relatively a short period.

Good luck!

Hi

Thanks for all the info very intresting. no none have flowered yet for me but all have cut of stem so have flowered.

Yes the delenatii's are seedlings but i would say maybe 18 months off flowering size. Where I got them from they have said a few have flowered this year.

The one I haave had for the longest is the malipenensis.

I only water once a week on the paphs.

Well the first pic is off them bellatulum i have only had this since Nov last year. It looks happy.

The other pic is all the parvi's the top three left to right are

Ho Chin Min, malipoense, hanginanum

Bottom left to right

armenicum, micranthum and delenatii var vincolor

The middle one is

delenatii var album.

Im happy they are growing I'd rather get a good growing plants with good roots then flowering on ok plants.

Ok, they are all of flowering size for sure, then!

Delenatii album looks to be ready to flower in season and the dunkel might still need to get a little bit larger, although it would still flower with no problem size wise.

They all look fine to me, except if you water once a week, I would water a bit more on a frequent schedule like every 4-5 days, especially during the warmer month when they grow actively, and in the spring when the plant come into bud. Not enough water during the spiking/budding period can cause them to die off and you don't want that to happen, especially things like malipoense that can take many months to develop its very long spike before finally showing you an open bloom.

You know what they are potted in, so you know how to adjust watering accordingly the best.
Happy growing!

Latest posts

Back