Paphs..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
sooo much stuff blooming now.. its just incredible
Here is a first blooming seedling of Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum it is bigger than 2 AM/AOS plants I have and looks like it will have even better form than either of those as well. Its markings are not that dark/coalesced however..it is not fully open in this picture just yet and it also isnt quite this cream colored in true color, a tad whiter.. Brachypetalums are loving the summer weather and going off right now..
IMG_0764.jpg

Here a tray of Cochlopetalum species. the monster on the left is a 9 spike liemieanum and there is also some glaucophyllum, victoria-mariae and primulinum (flavum) pictured... the liemieanum has been in flower for just under 5 years at this point
IMG_0798.jpg

and here, one of my absolute favorite plants in my entire collection; Paph. niveum var. alba. just repotted 6 monthes ago it rewarded me with 5 new growths and 3 spikes..
IMG_0765.jpg

this niveum album is one of my absolute favorite flowers! I love it! Great!

ya me too. these flowers are just starting to decline now, but this plant always gives me 2 per spike!

For some reason Pete niveum is one of the tuffess plant for me to grow. What kind of mix are you using? Yours is just beautiful

:clap: :clap: What a joy! :drool: :drool:
Great collection plants Pete and very well flowered. Can you point out the Victoria - mariae please, I don't see it in the photo.
it's leaving the GH, those spikes are going, going, going ...... :rollhappy:

Rick I just use the old 5A orchiata bark, which they dont really do anymore. now they have a "Power 5", but the old 5A, if you have any, was very large and consistent.. i do about 2/3s that and 1/3 coarse perlite for the brachys. i also try to grow the majority of them in terra cotta pots so they can have an opportunity to dry out as much as possible. i think you need to grow brachys dry(er) and really warm/hot. im sure that lack of vigor or high presences of pathogens on this group for most people is directly related to either water or temp (too much and too low)...

Roy-the victoraia mariae is the single bloom highest up in the center of the photo that is still slightly facing front, it is kind of sitting over top of the liemieanum.

Paphioboy- the primulinum flavum is one of the best formed and largest i have seen. i kept 4 excellent ones out of a flask from a SM (?) selfing from Ching Hua Orchids in Taiwan. there could be something up with the ploidy but its a chance thing if so; they werent treated or anything...

fannnn-tastic! so jealous of all your flowers:drool::drool: luv it:clap:

Pete, if you ever want to sell a piece of that niveum please keep me in mind. It is a beauty. Now, the godefroyae var. leucochilum is to die for. Just love that one to death. Please keep growing it on and when it gets large enough to divide sell or trade a piece of it. I only say that so if that gorgeous plant dies hopefully you'll be able to get a piece of it back.

thanks everybody. i will keep ya in mind Bob. your about number 3...

Interesting Pete. I use the same orchiata bark with sponge rock, same ratio, but in plastic pots. It sounds like you are growing them "bone dry" I have notice my culture improving with the Brachys after putting them in the orchiata. Maybe it was "too little, too late" for my niveums by the time I got the orchiata shipped in.

eric believe it or not we have pretty big differences between the seasons. winters temps are ten to fifteen degrees cooler, more abundant rain and clouds, shorter days, etc...

Latest posts

Back