Paphiopedilum wenshanense questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These little ones came in a flask marked as Paphiopedilum wenshanense x sib. I was expecting them to be a typical form. Looking at the light color on the leaves, I am thinking these may not be the type form. Of course I have to wait for the blooms to know for sure.

In the interim, I am curious about other's thoughts and guesses. Light leaves and type flowers? Or could this be an auruem form?

Hopefully the one that is spiking does not blast, and I will get a final answer soonish. I have been waiting since 2019. A few more weeks or months won't be the end of the world.20230810_131305.jpg

20230810_131239.jpg

Thanks all! Waiting is hard, and paphs are slow. :rolleyes:

@Guldal I did not think about var chlorophyllum. That option does complicate forming a hypothesis.

Fingers cross that Rudolph is right. If this is an albino compot, then I need to find a typical form.

How bright is your light?

All my wenshanense and wenshanense aurea have dark leaves, and I grow them < 1000 foot-candles.
I would say medium between 1000-2000 FC. These are growing under lights with other brachy seedlings and plants. The light is not bright enough to bleach the leaves.

It is good to know that yours have dark leaves.

Looks like it has the dilute bellatulum in its parents, in that case it is a Fx of bellatulum dilute and concolor. For the lack of red on the leaves, it is typical of some concolor that were 'selected' in Thailand, themselves hybrids of concolor and ang-thong ( that gives those light pink or green leafed, perfectly round concolor that are quite frequently awarded)

@Roth Can you say more about the dilute bellatulum? I have not heard that term.

I would like to get an ang-thong. it seems like the Frank's Red Hot of brachy breeding. For those not familiar with this sauce, see the meme with the brands slogan.

1706010870238.png

....Can you say more about the dilute bellatulum? I have not heard that term....
Darlene, sorry I'm not Roth ...but the term P. bellatulum dilute isn't an officially used one. I think he means just a P. bellatulum with very pale dots ... these flowers exist but aren't described as a forma or anything else. For example these flowers look similar to this one P. bellatulum pale

Last edited:
Darlene, sorry I'm not Roth ...but the term P. bellatulum dilute isn't an officially used one. I think he means just a P. bellatulum with very pale dots ... these flowers exist but aren't described as a forma or anything else. For example these flowers look similar to this one P. bellatulum pale
Indeed, but it appears that it is something more than just pale dots. As a parent it dilutes the color of the other flower in hybrids, hence the name of 'dilute' types. There were quite a few wild plants of that type that appeared about 10-15 years ago. Most had plain green leaves, like a bellatulum album, but a few had reddish leaves however.

They would be worth of a description as a forma, or possibly even a variety, as they came clearly as a colony, back then. They were not individual plants, as an albino would be.

Latest posts

Back