Paphiopedilum wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is my latest addition!

I bought this in bud about a month ago from Icepengyn (sp?) on eBay. I think Alex is the seller's name. I have bought a few plants from him, and everything is spotless clean and arrived in great conditions!

Anyways, when he put out a bunch of these, I picked one with two buds.
Now they are finally slowly swelling up. can't wait!!!

The cross is wardii 'Freckles' HCC/AOS x self.
I like how small the whole plant is. Two growths in bud, plus one small new start all in 2inch pot! :)

iiVUrNhl.jpg

About one month after...

This has to be the slowest thing I've ever seen!!!
and one of the buds died and dropped off a few days ago.
In this photo, you can tell the bud closer to the viewer is dying.

Now, the petals are opening but the dorsal is still down.
I wonder if this is normal for this species??

2HWDBr5m.jpg

I have the same grex from the Quintals! I love it!

I got 2...1 didnt open and blasted and another opened only halfway. I think this species is a little finicky about flowering. One of my plants has a second spike now so maybe the bud will do better starting out in my conditions. Very nice healthy plants though. Recommended.

I bought a couple alba several years ago and they died...this species is tricky for me.

Why do you think it is finicky? Mine has been one of the easiest in my collection.

I guess for my conditions paphs with thinner leaves are more difficult to grow. Just my limited experience w this species.

I got 2...1 didnt open and blasted and another opened only halfway. I think this species is a little finicky about flowering. One of my plants has a second spike now so maybe the bud will do better starting out in my conditions. Very nice healthy plants though. Recommended.

I bought a couple alba several years ago and they died...this species is tricky for me.

Well, this is my first time trying wardii. I like their leaves and this particular plant is quite small. and it was in two spikes, so I was like what the heck! :)

It is pushing a new start at the moment. The lone surviving bud looks like it's not going to open up any more. I'll give it another season. then chuck it. :evil: Maybe genetic issues due to inbredding?

I actually had this one vini maudiae. It was wardii x Hsinying Rubyweb (or something similar). The leaves were nearly black both front and back, glossy and you could still see wardii patterns. It was a great plant itself!
The bud look forever to develop and to open I remember. Then the dorsal had this nodding issues, although it was nothing like this one I post here.
The flower was very very dark, almost black.

I kept it for about one year, bloomed it again, but was frustrated by how slow it was and gave it away.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing wardii x Satchel's Page (not exactly the name) on Sam's list. I might want to get some if he still has any left.

Hope your wardii in bud open up fine this time.
Keep me posted! :)

Mine opened great (took forever) and is still in bloom! Going on four weeks.

I've been working with this species from seed to specimen plant for some years now.

I've found that if the buds start too early or late from the normal season (like October thru December) the odds of this kind of unsuccessful blooming issue are higher.

So maybe sensitive to tight temperature, watering, and humidity regimes.

I have never had a problem with this species but then I know a person from the warmer climate of Brisbane who seems to permanently blast all his wardii's.

Latest posts

Back