Paphiopedilum venustums from Japan GrandPrix 2020

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since you like paph venustum so much i think you would like this too,
and if you said the Japanese breeders secure the best plants from all over the world to breed with, I bet they are on the hunt for this one just as much as you.

https://www.orchidsforum.com/threads/paphiopedilum-venustum-svo-am-aos-x-christmas-highlight.19954/

The Japanese breeders secure the best plants from all over the world to breed with. Then they do line breeding for characteristics of colour and form, rather than size. As a result their plants are better coloured and form, and usually smaller. So yes, the flowers are usually top quality.

Look at these two plants I got today to join the venustum family. Good colour and form. Note that one plant had flowers with different pouch colours, due to opening in different temperatures. This means that colour can be influenced by low night temperatures (the colder, the darker) epigenetically. Fascinating!

View attachment 18341 View attachment 18343 View attachment 18345 View attachment 18347 View attachment 18348 View attachment 18349

Thanks Hien. I have actually been eyeing this one for a while. I will contact the grower and hope all is well in NYC where they are located in the midst of the hot-zone of COVID. Best wishes and prayers to NY.

Thanks Hien. I have actually been eyeing this one for a while. I will contact the grower and hope all is well in NYC where they are located in the midst of the hot-zone of COVID. Best wishes and prayers to NY.
for some reason the contact feature on your profile does not work I can not send a "start conversation" to you.
the message appear "error" however I think if you send a start conversation to me, maybe I could reply, see if it works, I would like to send you a reply regarding your question on venustum

for some reason the contact feature on your profile does not work I can not send a "start conversation" to you.
the message appear "error" however I think if you send a start conversation to me, maybe I could reply, see if it works, I would like to send you a reply regarding your question on venustum
hi Leslie, never mind this post, I did not realize you already contact the owner of the plant for a division, good luck with your endeavor , don't forget to self it, or cross it with something dark, line breeding in that direction.

hi Leslie, never mind this post, I did not realize you already contact the owner of the plant for a division, good luck with your endeavor , don't forget to self it, or cross it with something dark, line breeding in that direction.
Yes indeed I will if I get a division of this red pouch. I will breed it onwards to save the gene pool!! That’s my goal and intention.

Back