Paphiopedilum tigrinum ‘Eye of the Tiger’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Leslie, very nice and unique.I think there is a little pelorism, two lateral petals are not typical but -with their colouration and pattern - are almost same as the dorsal flag.

Very nice! Are you growing it ( and other paphs too) with organic medium?

It’s in bark, charcoal and perlite. And top with moss.
I always used this type of medium too, next repotting I want to try 50% pumice 50% perlite just to have a coarser material. Here only perlite n.3 Is available and Is quite small. I noticed that almost all orchid nurseries in Europe use only pumice as draining material.

Do you treat bark with calcium carbonate or dolomite powder before its use?

I always used this type of medium too, next repotting I want to try 50% pumice 50% perlite just to have a coarser material. Here only perlite n.3 Is available and Is quite small. I noticed that almost all orchid nurseries in Europe use only pumice as draining material.

Do you treat bark with calcium carbonate or dolomite powder before its use?
I think media is dictated by your watering schedule and the species in question. If you can find the balance, then plants can grow in anything (based on the many nurseries and collections I’ve seen). I’ve seen paphs grown in leca clay pellets, gravel, NZ moss, tree fern, rock wool, perlite, soil (!!), charcoal, coir, wood chips, hydroponic, live moss and even tree trunks with detritus.

I don’t treat my bark with any dolomite or calcium carbonate but may add oyster shells when I remember. I do feed them weekly weakly with MSU for RO water alternating with a monthly fish emulsion/sea kelp with a flush in between. I will also do an Epsom feed every couple months, again, if I remember lol. Occasional a CaMag supplement too.

I think media is dictated by your watering schedule and the species in question. If you can find the balance, then plants can grow in anything (based on the many nurseries and collections I’ve seen). I’ve seen paphs grown in leca clay pellets, gravel, NZ moss, tree fern, rock wool, perlite, soil (!!), charcoal, coir, wood chips, hydroponic, live moss and even tree trunks with detritus.

I don’t treat my bark with any dolomite or calcium carbonate but may add oyster shells when I remember. I do feed them weekly weakly with MSU for RO water alternating with a monthly fish emulsion/sea kelp with a flush in between. I will also do an Epsom feed every couple months, again, if I remember lol. Occasional a CaMag supplement too.
Thank you!

In Italy the most growers (small collections and even large scale) use to lime the bark for 2 reasons: first for the degraded bark quality available on the market and second to balance the acidity of urea based fertilizer (Peters or similar) that are widely used.

I have one that is now several years old - bloomed only once. Most times the buds set but then don't budge for several montha to eventually dry up. Frustrating.
I find that when buds set to water and feed plants well (not soggy but slightly moist). Just don’t get buds or leaves wet. Once budded, they usually start within a month to grow and then flower opens in 4-6 weeks thereafter.

Very different tigrinum flower from the others that I have seen. What is your condition to grow this species? In the first few photos when the flower was half open, I see a Paph randsii. What is the cross?

Very different tigrinum flower from the others that I have seen. What is your condition to grow this species? In the first few photos when the flower was half open, I see a Paph randsii. What is the cross?
Yes it grows with randsii but on lower level where it’s cooler and shadier. The randsii has no parentage on tag. I’ll look at my records later.

Latest posts

Back