Paphiopedilum supardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musa

Reaction score
My supardii is blooming with five flowers, last time it were only three. It has a leafspan of 100 cm.
What bothers me a bit are the guttation drops of sugar all over the flowers. I have no idea what causes it, as no other paph shows that effect.

k IMG_7349 copy.jpgk IMG_7350 copy.jpgk IMG_7383 copy.jpgk IMG_7352 copy.jpgk IMG_7354 copy.jpgsupardii 1.jpgk IMG_7359 copy.jpgk IMG_7343 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7383.JPG
    IMG_7383.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 2
How lovely they are. I just love their curly petals. Reminds me of Balinese dancers.

I have a plant that looks like yours in size. Just waiting for it to bud 🤞.

Excellent flowers with great colors. I wouldn't freak over the sugar droplets. Its guite common in orchids. I've had philippinense, sanderianum and others form sugar droplets, mainly on the front of the pouch. In fact some years ago here, was a discussion on whether the sugar formation was part of the pollination process to attract pollinators, especially sanderianum.

Not often seen in flower! Congrats. May i ask where you got it from?
I also know the thoughts, that the sugar Drops have something to do with pollination.

Thank you all!
I still wonder about the sugar droplets, as they are mainly on the sepals back and frontside. The polinators get rewarded before they do their duty?... seems strange to me, but maybe insects are more altruistic then men.

@Martin
The plant is form Elsner Orchideen, Germany. I bought it in 2015 as Paph stonei.

Looks great! I have one which has made an initial spike but halted and has been focued on making two new growths.

I wondered if you have any tips for encouraging flowering next time.

I still wonder about the sugar droplets, as they are mainly on the sepals back and frontside. The polinators get rewarded before they do their duty?... seems strange to me, but maybe insects are more altruistic then men.

I always assumed they were attracting ants to protect the flower - I have a Cattleya hybrid that is currently in bud producing them.

@Tom499
Unfortunately I have no wonder remedy for flowering. I just keep it with all my other Paphs, mostly sec. coryopetalum. There is only to mention that by growing in my living room, lots of artificial light and southfacing windows I have extrem hot conditions. In winter it is necer under 20°C and goes up to 29°C, in summer there are peaks of 37°C. Everything else is quite average...

Latest posts

Back