Paphiopedilum randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
It's nearly 5 years since this plant has bloomed for me. I've had it since ~1995 (?) as a seedling of a sibling cross of the 'Birchwood' clone from Orchids Limited. It grows well and at one time bloomed annually with 5-6 flowers from ~1999 until 2008. At that time it unfortunately was attacked by mites and rust and I almost lost it. About a year ago I switched to LED lights in the plant room so the daytime temperatures moderated and most of my plants did much better. I'm encouraged by the fact that this plant now has 6 open flowers and two more buds. That's more than it has ever had and it almost matches the flower count of the jungle collected plants I've seen posted on this site. The flowers are a bit smaller than when it bloomed with 5-6 flowers, but I'm just glad that it's alive. I like the fact that the flowers don't have the spindly tips to the lateral sepals that other plants of this species seem to have.

Paphiopedilumrandsiiplant01-12-2013_zpsb93f2cb8.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumrandsiiflower01-12-2013_zps250734e9.jpg
[/IMG]

WOW. Not every day you see a randii posted. Great save and culture to bring it back. Not the easiest to grow I believe.

Beautiful randsii Jay. I hope this species blooms every year but it takes too damn long to mature a growth.

So far P. randsii is a rare species in our collections also photos of its flowers have been rare in this forum. All the more I enjoy your photos and your story.
Hopefully mine P. randsii will flower one day as nice as yours, congrats.

That's a very nice bloom, not often seen!!

Congratulations in growing it for almost 2 decades now!! :clap:

I hope to have blooms on my seedlings (flask from Sam) soon now, new growths are starting so I think next year it shoud be ok :drool:

great looking one, congrats on that do you have a pic of the hole plant.
Seen only small seedlings till now.
Did you ever cross it like with armeniacum

Everytime I see a specie like this wonder about sense of hybridizing. This spoecie so wonderful, none of any hybridizing can product better than this. Many thanks for sharing, you are a great grower!
Could you please tell me LS? I wonder because wild plants LS sometimes bigger than 1 meter.

great looking one, congrats on that do you have a pic of the hole plant.
Seen only small seedlings till now.
Did you ever cross it like with armeniacum

Thank you. I'm not a fan of hybrids so I have not done any hybridizing.

Latest posts

Back